Why become a member? ×

Billy Sheehan “wife” tribute

AndyTravis

• 2 weeks later...

Haha, erm.

its as far as i’ll Be taking it. A change in drummer means that extra bottom end is a bit redundant and only seeing use on one track.

i have the vintage 80’s skateboard/wings sticker arriving which cost way too much for a sticker.

it needs more time than I have to get “bang on” so it’s turned out to be a very expensive reality check.

it sounds great and plays really well.

but to make it 100% would take a luthier an afternoon and me, well, probably a day - but I’m sort of spent on it.

with the house move coming up, I have too much sorting and packing to do. As well as keeping the 4 youngsters entertained and out of harms way.

I’ve sourced a beauty of a shell pickguard as I wasn’t happy with how it turned out around the pickup.

The likelihood is that I’ll offer it for sale as a project and lose a couple of hundred quid.

3AD55C00-BC8D-46C5-9E53-3AC408D1759E.jpeg

Edited by AndyTravis

12 minutes ago, ForbiddenWytch said:

Is it my eyes or are the strings really mis-aligned over the fretboard? Apart form that, really enjoyed this build diary!

A tiny bit yeah - angle of the photo also doesn’t help, need to reset the neck a little towards the bass side... But in all fairness I haven’t had the time.

having looked at it more...I think a bridge with threaded saddles would sort this.

i’ll add It to the list of stuff I don’t want to buy...should’ve done it in the first place...

Edited by AndyTravis

15 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

A tiny bit yeah - angle of the photo also doesn’t help, need to reset the neck a little towards the bass side... But in all fairness I haven’t had the time.

having looked at it more...I think a bridge with threaded saddles would sort this.

i’ll add It to the list of stuff I don’t want to buy...should’ve done it in the first place...

Haha! Sorry Andy, didn't mean it to sound like a criticism. Really hope you manage to sort out the problems you've had with it so far though as it's been a great build to follow and such a shame you've had the issues.

9 minutes ago, ForbiddenWytch said:

Haha! Sorry Andy, didn't mean it to sound like a criticism. Really hope you manage to sort out the problems you've had with it so far though as it's been a great build to follow and such a shame you've had the issues.

It’s not that big a trouble. Just a time constraint thing. Like I’ve said now it’s more or less complete, I might sell it on to someone who will get the enjoyment I nearly had from it.

Home/house/kids are the priority, foolishness to think otherwise at the moment.

I too have a balancing act with kids etc (not quite as many as you!), but I regret selling certain things, thinking “I won’t have time”, but then I get a month of being able to do music stuff for some reason or another, so I’m a little more cautious about getting rid of stuff these days.

The number of times I've brought a bass or started a project, and at the time decided it's not going right or whatever, then several months or even a year or so later, thought... that would be ideal now, or wanted that bass back - I've lost count!

If you can afford it i would say hold on to the wife bass, I suspect you will get an itch for it in the future.

• Thanks 1