Why become a member? ×

Billy Sheehan “wife” tribute

AndyTravis

Just now, Slappindabass said:

I assumed it was anyway. Is the original just on top? If so ...thats as rough as a badgers derrière!🐼(no badger emoji)

I think the missing bits of pickguard on the original mean it’s mounted right onto the body.

Class! good luck with this, would love to have the ability with a chisel, drill and my hands in general to do something like this without destroying a perfectly good bass!! 

Are you going for the extra strong neck joint with the angled screws too (not sure if he made that modification himself on the 'wife' bass or if it was something that came along with the Yamaha)?

13 minutes ago, JamieMillsBass said:

Class! good luck with this, would love to have the ability with a chisel, drill and my hands in general to do something like this without destroying a perfectly good bass!! 

Are you going for the extra strong neck joint with the angled screws too (not sure if he made that modification himself on the 'wife' bass or if it was something that came along with the Yamaha)?

The mitre join is only on the LTD3, Yamaha have a very expensive looking jig to do it as well.

the “wife” is just standard 4 bolt.

• Like 1

Well. Lovely guy as he is, don’t think my Luthier bloke understands. To be honest, how he stays in business I’ve no clue.

so. I’ve just gone for it. 

Have done Swiss cheese to chisel to sanding before. But...I’ve got new chisels. So this should be better.

EC211B9D-78F7-42FA-88F6-9C535017E6D7.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Meddle said:

I always interpreted it this way. I don't know if Billy's bass was old enough to have an aluminium under pickguard. I'm guessing he cut the pickguard for the mudbucker and this left the pickguard too weak to remain intact. 

If you are keeping the bass mono, how will you get the pickups to play ball with each other? The impedance mismatch will probably put the P pickup out front of the mudbucker when you have both pickups on. 

Did some clever business with @KiOgon to help...

the artec is listed as 27.9k, Seymour Duncan Hot for P is 22.9k.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Rich said:

Do you mean the pickguard? Looks fine. Or am I missing something?

Yeah, realistically it was bound to happen. There’s only about 4mm of plastic left over when making the rebate for the pickup.

it snapped on the last cut. Serendipitously, within a gnats chuff of where the original basses pickguard is snapped.

so...I’m going to leave it as is. And maybe I will age things up a bit more.

Edited by AndyTravis
  • Like 3