Why become a member? ×

Magnets for control cavity cover

Fishman

I think @Jabba_the_gut uses bigger magnets than me, but the ones I use are 5mm in the body and 4mm on the cover itself.  I use first4magnets who have a massive range of sizes, thicknesses, strengths and shapes.

However, note that they are sold also by their pulling power.  The 5mm I use are a 0.26kg pull and the 4mm ones are 0.36kg pull.  I think for a wood cover this is probably the lowest pull to be sure it's going to hold - so maybe go for slightly larger, and/or stronger ones to be sure. 

However, you don't really want super high strength ones because the neodymium magnets are really stupendously powerful and too large and strong can affect the magnetic field of your pickups.

For the truss rod cover I use 3mm at the apex and 2mm at one or both sides in the body,  with 2mm magnets on the cover itself.  The single apex magnet is strong enough to hold the weight of the cover so the side smaller ones are just to hold it in position.

On 16/04/2019 at 23:04, Fishman said:

Thanks @Grangur and @fleabag

would the cover itself have something metallic to be grabbed by the magnets, perhaps a thin metallic film?

No - it is much more effective to use magnets on the cover and an opposite pole magnet in the body.  Magnet to magnet these tiny things have a huge pull.

49 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

I think @Jabba_the_gut uses bigger magnets than me, but the ones I use are 5mm in the body and 4mm on the cover itself.  I use first4magnets who have a massive range of sizes, thicknesses, strengths and shapes.

However, note that they are sold also by their pulling power.  The 5mm I use are a 0.26kg pull and the 4mm ones are 0.36kg pull.  I think for a wood cover this is probably the lowest pull to be sure it's going to hold - so maybe go for slightly larger, and/or stronger ones to be sure. 

However, you don't really want super high strength ones because the neodymium magnets are really stupendously powerful and too large and strong can affect the magnetic field of your pickups.

For the truss rod cover I use 3mm at the apex and 2mm at one or both sides in the body,  with 2mm magnets on the cover itself.  The single apex magnet is strong enough to hold the weight of the cover so the side smaller ones are just to hold it in position.

I'd missed @Jabba_the_gut 's reply above and stand corrected.  He doesn't use bigger ones than me.  I reckon the total pull power of our respective size/thickness/strength is probably similar, then :)