Why become a member? ×

Gutted.com

CyberBass

Just recently bought a Fender jmj mustang (amazing bass), the new orange bass terror and a pair of the new orange 112 cabs. The orange rig I haven’t even rehearsed with or gigged with and I’m so gutted. Why?

3 weeks ago I was rushed into hospital with suspected heart attack, however upon arrival and after several scans and blood tests it turned out to be sepsis from a large abscess on my spine that had perforated. 6 hours under the knife and nearly died on the table, however I survived and I should be thankful, but I have lost use of my left hand. I’m hoping that in time the use will come back, but no guarantees.

i can’t say how sad this makes me after over 40 years of playing. My mind is all over the place.

im unsure whether to hang onto my kit and pray that one day I can play, or to list my kit in for sale section to secure me financially while I cannot work and start again if I ever regain use of hand.

any advice and support deeply appreciated.

• Sad 4

Wow....major shock to the system I suspect...

As you say, with time, use of your hand may return. I'd be hoping that trying to use your left hand to play bass would help in the recovery. As @Mykesbass suggests, if you need the cash, sell the cabs but hang on to the bass. I have a pair of Vox Amphones which would be ideal if you decide to move the cabs on.

Most of all, positive mind set will help in your recovery.

• Thanks 1

Just now, TheGreek said:

Wow....major shock to the system I suspect...

As you say, with time, use of your hand may return. I'd be hoping that trying to use your left hand to play bass would help in the recovery. As @Mykesbass suggests, if you need the cash, sell the cabs but hang on to the bass. I have a pair of Vox Amphones which would be ideal if you decide to move the cabs on.

Most of all, positive mind set will help in your recovery.

Thank, sounds a good idea. I have feeling in my hand, but the nerves in it are not connecting or triggering to move my fingers etc. I do really hope in time it comes back.

i feel so down about the situation. Music has always carried me through good and bad times, so for it to be taken away from me is so so painful.

Bloody hell,  mate. Do NOT give up on ever using that hand again. Nerves have a way of reconnecting,  don't they? As long as not been severed? 

I got floored on 2nd January with a MASSIVE pulmonary embolism that nearly killed me. I've made a complete recovery but I never, ever take anything for granted now.

Keep the faith, CyberBass. Let your body heal, mate.

• Like 1

Ooof!  Glad you're still here to post about it at least.  The advice from @Mykesbass seems pretty solid.  Maybe if you take it really slowly and have lots of patience with it playing the bass may have some positive rehabilitative effect?

The alternative (and I hope you take this in good humour - feel free to tell me to f*** off if not) is that you get a left handed bass, have your left hand replaced with a hook and learn to play with that.  Plus you could still earn a few quid playing Captain Hook at children's parties.

On a more serious note, best of luck for the convalescence, keep posting and check in on the Bad Jokes thread for a chuckle every so often.

Edited by Unknown_User
Spelling error
  • Haha 2

So sorry to hear this. Only you will know what's the right thing for you - but were I unfortunate enough to be in this position I'd prioritise my security and health over the bass gear.

The most important thing is getting well again and you won't get well if you've no (or less) money to eat or to cover your transport costs to attend the remedial therapy you'll undergo.

There's a wealth of bass gear out there and always will be. Take your time, take it easy and look after yourself :)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, NikNik said:

What, can I ask, did the Consultant say about the loss of use in the arm? Is this not just a complication from the surgery that will mitigate with time and physio?

The surgeon said that abscess was large and the compression could have caused damage to the nerves affecting the left hand side. As a result of the surgery there is scarring and still infection within surrounding spine. He said there is hope that my hand may recover, but no guarantee it will or to what extent it will recover. I’m working hard each day physio wise and I get a lot of pain from what I can only guess at nerves trying to engage with fingers. It’s like pins and needles on fire.

i am hopeful but at the same time fearful.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Wow, that was truly heartwrenching to read.

However, it's worth remembering that while basslines that you used to play may currently be out of reach you may be able to play with a single finger?

I would say not to give up.  Motivation and determination are the key to any success

• Like 2

What an awful thing to happen. If I were in this situation I'd move the rig on but keep the bass. 
With the bass visible it would be an incentive for rehabilitation. Yes, it would be hard at the beginning to see it and not be able to play. But without one there you may lose interest.

I have friends who have had severe injuries and have been told by doctors/surgeons that they'd loses some ability or other. Yet they've not given up hope and, in time, proved the experts wrong.

Best of luck to you!

Edited by bartelby
  • Like 1

Sorry to hear that.

If it helps in any way, I've no feeling in my little finger and that bottom side of my fretting hand due to a rugby accident and as such my third finger is bent inwards towards the thumb crossing the middle finger. It's amazing though how the body can adapt by taking small steps, and although I'm no fretboard wizard (I never was anyway) I can hold a tune with what I can use, which is usually just my first and middle finger.

Hope it all works out well for you in the end.

• Thanks 1

On 16/04/2019 at 16:07, CyberBass said:

The surgeon said that abscess was large and the compression could have caused damage to the nerves affecting the left hand side. As a result of the surgery there is scarring and still infection within surrounding spine. He said there is hope that my hand may recover, but no guarantee it will or to what extent it will recover. I’m working hard each day physio wise and I get a lot of pain from what I can only guess at nerves trying to engage with fingers. It’s like pins and needles on fire.

i am hopeful but at the same time fearful.

Take your time,  mate. If you can feel and move your fingers, you're  halfway there.