Why become a member? ×

Heads up! Great VST deals spotted

Mcgiver69

3 hours ago, lowdown said:

...Orchestral Tools are doing the same.

Once downloaded...

Be prepared for a very, very long wait, as the download 'speed' is execrable. For the four 'Layer' sections available, there are four or five 'mic' versions to choose from. Initially attracted by this plethora, I ticked all the boxes. Fifteen minutes later I un-ticked 'em and started again. Currently, as I type, for the 'Close' mic  for Brass, it says I've eighteen minutes yet before it's done. I've had time to make tea and prepare for shopping later already, so roughly half an hour. For one 'mic', for Brass. Three others to do, but I'll let it run whilst I'm out. Good quality, from what I've heard, and free, of course, but goodness gracious, it's slow.
Just sayin'. ;)

Did I type 'eighteen minutes'..? Maybe; it's hopping about between eighteen minutes and over an hour. It's slow...

Edited by Dad3353

20 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Be prepared for a very, very long wait, as the download 'speed' is execrable. For the four 'Layer' sections available, there are four or five 'mic' versions to choose from. Initially attracted by this plethora, I ticked all the boxes. Fifteen minutes later I un-ticked 'em and started again. Currently, as I type, for the 'Close' mic  for Brass, it says I've eighteen minutes yet before it's done. I've had time to make tea and prepare for shopping later already, so roughly half an hour. For one 'mic', for Brass. Three others to do, but I'll let it run whilst I'm out. Good quality, from what I've heard, and free, of course, but goodness gracious, it's slow.
Just sayin'. ;)

Did I type 'eighteen minutes'..? Maybe; it's hopping about between eighteen minutes and over an hour. It's slow...

Yes, the only downside. And I do have a very fast service. But, the quality and programming are excellent.

It's an ongoing project, so there will be more free instruments on the way. I think in the longer term, they will be introducing single Instruments to buy as well.

Update : The Downloader started 'unpacking' (where on my system..? I've no idea...), then flipped out and disappeared. No trace of a download that I can find; I've started it again before doing my shopping. It's been running for an hour, and is now swinging from 7 to 3 minutes remaining. I'll advise once it's on my system, and I can find. One 'mic' for one of the instruments. Patience is required...

24 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Update : The Downloader started 'unpacking' (where on my system..? I've no idea...), then flipped out and disappeared. No trace of a download that I can find; I've started it again before doing my shopping. It's been running for an hour, and is now swinging from 7 to 3 minutes remaining. I'll advise once it's on my system, and I can find. One 'mic' for one of the instruments. Patience is required...

Apart from the (annoying) slow download time, everything else was just fine for me. Also, I was given an option to direct/change the downloads to a drive of my choice. 

If I remember correctly, it was originally pointing towards:

This PC/Windows(C)/users/my name/AppData/Roaming...(if that helps to locate your samples).

1 minute ago, lowdown said:

...Roaming...(if that helps to locate your samples).

It will, indeed, help, once the current (still the same...) download has finished its 'unpacking'. I'm an avid User and Collector of instruments of the sort, and the quality seems to be well above the 'free' price point, so I'll continue until I get the set, and be thankful. It does, however, make me hesitant before committing to any of their more voluminous offers (I was thinking of the operatic voices, but will I live long enough to even test 'em..?). It seems churlish to grumble, so I shan't; thanks for sharing the link. :friends: 

• Like 1

Stupider and stupider...

I've found the downloaded 'zip' file that is being laboriously 'unpacked' by this 'Sine' player. It's been running for nearly an hour, and has unpacked about half. I've copied the 'zip' file to another disk, and an ordinary WinRar unpacks it in less than two seconds. The daft thing is that the resulting 'Brass' file is the same size as the 'zip' file; there was never any need to pack it in the first place..! I'll see how this pans out, but I shall probably be making my thoughts known to the folks putting this out, as they are certainly not doing themselves any favours with such methods. One sometimes needs to be cruel to be kind; it's for their own good. -_-

Edit I've sent 'em a brief account of my experience so far with their delivery system. Hope it helps, as the product deserves better. B|

Edit : How daft can it get..? Once the unpacking finished (I was watching it 'live', the Sine Player declared that destination disk (my NAS...) was no longer available (I'd been watching it for the last couple of hours, so...), and the download 'zip' file and unpacked 'Brass' file promptly disappeared..! Gone..! Poof..! Luckily, I'd done my own unpacking to my desktop, and moving the Brass file I'd created into the NAS folder fooled Sine enough to open the library file. I'll now try it through my DAW, but what a game of soldiers..! It's been churning away to the NAS folder for several hours, only, at the end, to decide it wasn't there and scratched it all..! Flipping daft, I say. 9_9

Edited by Dad3353
  • Haha 1

Follow-up to the 'Sine' saga...

After a couple of mails to and fro, now that the Easter break is over, I had some advice from their Support folks. Unfortunately, this did little to improve matters, and, giving it two or three goes, managed only to crash Reaper and lose what sounds I had been able to coax into life. More advice, to little effect. I've advised them as to what the issues are; if I'm the only one with problems nothing will come of it, but if others have the same issues (horrendously slow download, unsuitable default folder placement, unbelievable unpacking once download finishes, clunky integration (into Reaper, at least...), maybe they'll get it fixed. So, despite the sounds being quite useful enough, I'm not going to insist, and will not be buying other products from them, despite their attractive qualities. Never mind, I have other orchestral stuff, but it's a shame to fall over on delivery technicalities. What I did hear was very good. :(

• Like 2

All rather odd and sorry to here of your woes, Dad.

I can't comment on the Reaper situation but, as far as myself with Nuendo and my lad with Studio One Pro, Sine works like a dream.

We've managed to set up the different mic outputs into separate channels/buses. Great for refined control, sound and room placement

While the download speeds were not great for us, it certainly was not the bad experience that you unfortunately seemed to have had.

I'm guessing you are on W10? When downloading, I was offered the choice of changing location for the download. Although, like I said above, it did try to point me to it's own choice.

'Sine' did remember my choice though, and all further Instruments were directed there without defaulting to it's original choice. I was able to 'tick all the mics, leave all well alone, go away and come back when it was all finished. All 'unpacking must have gone on behind the scenes. To be honest, I didn't seem to notice that and there wasn't any residue zip (or other folders hanging around for deletion.

(It must have happened automatically). I have copied the whole Shebang onto another drive for safe storage in case I need to install again at some time in the future.

(I usually do that with libraries anyway).

I must say though, a rather strange folder tree structure. 'Location/Orchestral Tools/ then the individual Instrument folders are given random three digit numbers instead of names'.

But saying that, they show up as Instrument names in Sine and not the folder structure numbers.

2 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

After a couple of mails to and fro, now that the Easter break is over, I had some advice from their Support folks. Unfortunately, this did little to improve matters, and, giving it two or three goes, managed only to crash Reaper and lose what sounds I had been able to coax into life. More advice, to little effect. I've advised them as to what the issues are; if I'm the only one with problems nothing will come of it, but if others have the same issues (horrendously slow download, unsuitable default folder placement, unbelievable unpacking once download finishes, clunky integration (into Reaper, at least...), maybe they'll get it fixed. So, despite the sounds being quite useful enough, I'm not going to insist, and will not be buying other products from them, despite their attractive qualities. Never mind, I have other orchestral stuff, but it's a shame to fall over on delivery technicalities. What I did hear was very good. :(

You may probably be interested in "Decent Sampler" it is part of the Pianobook project and it is meant to be the free option for their Kontakt and EXS24 libraries. Download the sampler here:

https://www.decentsamples.com/product/decent-sampler-plugin/

And if you create a free account in Pianobook then you can Browse all the EXS24 libraries (those had been converted to Decent Sampler, the Kontakt ones will be converted soon). There are more than 100 instruments you can download and use for free.

https://www.pianobook.co.uk/

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Mcgiver69 said:

You may probably be interested...

There's no 'probably' about it. It's like Christmas..! I think (I'm not sure yet...) that I've collected about enough instruments from this loded gold mine to attack this month's Composition Challenge. If I feel there's something missing, I'll be back in there scuffling around for more nuggets. A Good Call; it's made my day (well, evening, as it happens, but... whatever...). Thanks muchly. :friends:

9 hours ago, lowdown said:

Mean while, over at the the Spitfire Audio Kitchen, they have baked up another delicious offering in their free 'Labs' serious - A basic, but rather usable Percussion library.

Go on, Dad...You know it makes sense...:D

LABS — Percussion (spitfireaudio.com)

The LABS collection really is the gift that keeps on giving. Most other VST makers will create a little taster to get you hooked on the "real" product, but Spitfire just keeps adding really interesting and varied stuff to the LABS library. Massive props!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Naigewron said:

The LABS collection really is the gift that keeps on giving...

They've changed the Download interface; it's now a programme to install locally. Once installed (and logged in...) it gives access to all the Labs instruments, downloads them and installs them in the chosen folder destinations. Pretty seamless, for the moment; I'll be directing the 'Sine' folks to there so that they can see how it should be done. Once they do it in similar, clean, fashion, they'll become another contender. Meanwhile, Good Call concerning Spitfire. R91KekF.gif

3 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

They've changed the Download interface; it's now a programme to install locally. Once installed (and logged in...) it gives access to all the Labs instruments, downloads them and installs them in the chosen folder destinations. Pretty seamless, for the moment; I'll be directing the 'Sine' folks to there so that they can see how it should be done. Once they do it in similar, clean, fashion, they'll become another contender. Meanwhile, Good Call concerning Spitfire. R91KekF.gif

It's been like that for a while. Full libraries, LABS and any updates for anything available.

They also seem to update the App on a regular basis as well.

Although their libraries seem expensive, they are an excellent company that always have some kind of deal or bundle going on regularly.

👍

:D

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, lowdown said:

It's been like that for a while. Full libraries, LABS and any updates for anything available.

They also seem to update the App on a regular basis as well.

Although their libraries seem expensive, they are an excellent company that always have some kind of deal or bundle going on regularly.

👍

:D

It's worth keeping an eye on this page, where they maintain a list of all their products that cost under €100. So when something goes on sale or the price lowers, it will turn up here.

A lot of their libraries are €29, which iis amazing value.

https://www.spitfireaudio.com/under-100/

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Naigewron said:

It's worth keeping an eye on this page, where they maintain a list of all their products that cost under €100. So when something goes on sale or the price lowers, it will turn up here.

A lot of their libraries are €29, which iis amazing value.

https://www.spitfireaudio.com/under-100/

Yes, also the 'Wish list' in your account page. Quite often they will give you anywhere up to 40% off the main libraries.

15 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

Over at VI Control there is usually some kind of moan going on about the 'Sine' player. Eventually when they get it right, it will be a good 'un.

It seems like the transition from Kontakt over to their own Sine player is not going as smooth as the Spitfire moving over.

Although, both still use Kontakt at the moment.

VSL and their 'Syncron player' is way ahead of them both with features and being problem free (more so Sine). Although, if you don't have a VSL or Steinberg key it leaves you out of the game.

Although, sometime time this year they are both ditching the 'Dongle' protection. Probably using Cloud/Computer based or online, dongle free iLok accounts.

Shame really, as VSL have a great free library and it is nice sounding - 'Big Band Orchestra'. 

The idea with it is you add to it what you want at modest prices.

FREE BASICS - Vienna Symphonic Library (vsl.co.at)

The expansion packs.

Every month through the year, there is usually a sale on for one of the expansions.

BIG BANG ORCHESTRA - Vienna Symphonic Library (vsl.co.at)

54 minutes ago, lowdown said:

...VSL and their 'Syncron player' ...

I could just about manage to scrape up funds for a 13€ 'Vienna' key, and probably find use for some 'Big Bang' pyrotechnics, but for the rest, it'll have to wait until The Lottery start dishing out funds to those who don't buy tickets..! Doubtless Good Stuff, but I'll have to content myself with what is, after all, simply a modest hobby, and for which I've already a rather rich panoply of excellent free, or modestly priced, instruments. I'll note for the future, though; one never knows if there's not a Rich Uncle from America lurking somewhere. :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 29/04/2021 at 01:19, Mcgiver69 said:

Amplitube has a very nice offer (Only for Amplitube 5, they work with the free version too)

- Fender Collection (7 amps & 7 cabs)

- Ampeg SVX2 Collection (3 amps & cabs)

Each one for €25 (Euros)

Offer ends on May 4th.

I have to say I got the Fender collection last month at that price and it includes a fair bit more gear than the Fender 2 collection available now.  I'm very impressed with both the guitar and bass amps included and even with the reduced kit it still looks a bargain.