Why become a member? ×

Amp or Pre-Amp & In-Ears?

mattbass6

This is something I've been thinking about for a while now. I love that feeling of an amp on stage but the inconstancy that it can bring sound wise due to mix issues, different stage acoustics and room dynamics etc, has me seriously thinking about going down the pre-amp (either Line6 Helix or AxeFX AX) and high quality moulded in-ears, route. 

My friend's band all use in-ears and at first, when I saw them live, the lack of back-line "freaked" me out a bit. I felt the out front sound was lacking because there was no back-line but I realised, in fairness, the PA was shockingly bad. The next time I saw them, the sound was wonderful and even when you got near the stage, the lack of back-line wasn't so noticeable. I also appreciated the space they had on stage. They looked happy too, because they could hear everything and react to it. I also love the thought of not being deafened on stage. I'm an ardent user of ear protection (Minerva -18Db plugs) due to slight tinnitus in my right ear but, on occasions, I have found myself loosening them to get that on-stage feel and dynamic you get when a band is really rocking out together. I really feel it is time for a change.......

Has anyone here gone down this route? How much of an adjustment was it? What gear do you use? What gear did you use? How do you find the interaction with your band? Has it changed the dynamic for the better or worse?