Why become a member? ×

Specials

Mickeyboro

Saw them last night in Bournemouth on the first UK tour date and would highly recommend. Last saw them in 1980 supporting Dave Edmunds... a lot of water under the bridge since then.

Horace is one of three  originals with Terry Hall and Lynval Golding, so was obviously told to get upfront - not that he ever stopped moving in the old days. He looked not unlike Norman Watt Roy’s younger brother in a denim shirt and slacks, playing a shiny new white Jazz (swopped for a black one with dark pearloid  pick guard for one number, presumably to retune as it was hot.)

A 90 minute set but no chat to speak of so plenty of songs. All they had to do was drop a first album classic and the place went up! Horace’s playing on the early stuff is so much more sparse and, to my mind, more effective. What a player, though, he still has it.

Tour is sold out, but I got 2 tix that afternoon on Facebook from people who couldn’t go. Definitely worth it! New album has its moments too...

Edited by Mickeyboro
  • Like 2

Two thirds - Neville Staple is not present, but Horace is. They’ve redone ‘lunatics’ for the new CD.

Have just found a good short interview with him (below) that states the Jazz he uses is a Japanese made one with Seymour Duncan’s.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Mickeyboro said:

Two thirds - Neville Staple is not present, but Horace is. They’ve redone ‘lunatics’ for the new CD.

Have just found a good short interview with him (below) that states the Jazz he uses is a Japanese made one with Seymour Duncan’s.

Crikey! My last recollection of him was of this tiny , fresh-faced young bloke. We’re exactly the same age to within a couple of months, but suddenly I feel very old. :(

Still as down-to-earth and easy going as I remember him though. Lovely bloke.

Edited by leftybassman392
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎16‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 10:39, Mickeyboro said:

Never been a fan of Ska and Reggae but Horace comes across a really nice guy and I have to agree with a lot of his comments, thanks for sharing enjoyed that.

I remember seeing The Specials doing ‘Ghost town’ on TOTP, and Horace having this massive semi acoustic bass which I had no idea what it was but wanted one! Years later realised it was a Kay 5970V which got reissued recently so keeping my eyes open. They crop up on eBay every now and then. Tried one out in the now defunct Cranes in Cardiff, wish I’d bought it then.

10 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

On my way home after seeing them in Southend. Fanstastic show and marvellous sound.

Can’t say the same for the support unfortunately. If ever there was a band in need of a competent drummer, it was them!

Horace was spot on and Lynval tried to pick a fight with three guys at the front. Very funny moment.

Who was the support? Is it still The Tuts?

I was tempted to go the Coventry Cathedral gig in July. But prior engagements makes it a but impractical. 

I met Terry Hall a long time ago, not too long after they'd split in '81, I was about 9. He was friends with one of my dad's work colleagues, whom I had a bit of a crush on. She'd just had wisdom teeth taken out so I persuaded my dad it might be nice to go and see if she was ok. I took her a bowl of butterscotch Angel Delight :D. When we knocked on the door of her flat Terry opened it. He was a very nice chap.

• Haha 1