Why become a member? ×

Best basslines for a FRETLESS beginner?

• 1 year later...

I’ve recommended this before, it’s a series of exercises put together by Tony Franklin. 
I’m fairly new to fretless myself but I’ve found this series on the TrueFire app extremely useful. It of course needs to be paid for but I think TrueFire are having a sale atm. 
You get the backing tracks and notation/tab and you can isolate certain parts and loop tracks to practice along with. 
Some of the content is available on YouTube. 
well worth a look. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bunion said:

Almost anything off Ten album by Pearl Jam (not Jeremy) you can get your bass face on and go wild. 
kind of makes you forget there’s  no frets. 

Black is one of my go to tracks to chill out with. I have a fretless bass but have never played this on it. :$ Doh!

• 3 weeks later...
On 21/04/2019 at 17:49, stef030 said:

john martyn some people from grace and danger

easy to learn and super expressive

Danny Thompson on Upright on the older stuff. John Giblin and Alan Thomson on the later stuff. All have great feel, and the bass is usually well up in the mix too 👍

Play stuff w/ octaves and fifths. Play with "tuned" instruments. If not with a band (hardly right now) along with records. Make sure the intonation is correct - harmonics vs. "fretted" 12th. I started playing bass on a Fender Jazz and found an upright in High School and thought my intonation was the bomb. Found a Fender Precision maple neck fretless and took it to band rehersal and COULD NOT PLAY IN TUNE. (and I didn't bring the Jazz because I was gonna show everybody) This was a band with horns - we were doing Chicago & Brecker Bros. and etc., and it was embarrassing...until about the end of rehersal when my intonation came around. But did my hand arm and neck hurt from the tension I was creating to "hear". And I was sometimes reading charts so I wasn't looking, I was listening, at an un-lined neck - to this day I don't like lined fretless. You have to use your ears. AND. GOOD LUCK AND FIND YOUR OWN VOICE. 

• 2 weeks later...