Why become a member? ×

What contributes to 'tension'? (Erm...on a bass that is!)

Moos3h

Just curious really ... I know how to do a basic set up on my basses, get a good action and ensure that they play in tune however there is always a HUGE difference when I play a bass that has had a good pro setup.

This is felt most noticeably in the string tension feeling reduced/decreased - is that actually possible or is it confirmation bias because it's been blessed with magic from a 'pro'?

I'm curious to know which part of the setup process is likely to be responsible for this as I'd like to replicate it on a Jazz that feels 'stiff' (for the lack of a better word!)

Thanks in advance for any pearls of wisdom!

Edited by Moos3h

Not sure what's classed as a good set up but recently i decided to reduce the neck tension and straighten the neck more. Not that it was what i considered bad but i had read that many guys have their necks almost straight. I think that is the problem. 
Almost straight is down to interpretation.

That allowed me to reduce my string height a touch more and that also felt as if the string tension was less. I don't think i imagined it but i'm not a 100% sure what gave me that feeling of less string tension.

Dave

Action will play a huge part in your perception of tension because a low action will require less pressure exerted to properly fret the string.  When you fret a string you are effectively making it longer than its resting position, so the lower the action the less you need to stretch it, and by Hooke's law force required to stretch is proportional to the extension required.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎15‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 18:20, BigRedX said:

That something else is Compliance.

I've been here before on this forum and on this topic.

The article linked to is interesting but in my opinion the author has the science the wrong way round so read it to get an idea of some of the concepts that need to be considered but don't take its conclusions as gospel.

It used to be that 40 - 100 gauge bass strings were the norm.  Now it seems that 45 - 105 gauge is the most common gauge.  However, the latter gauge generates higher tensions.

The greater the thickness of the string the higher the tension required to pitch the same note.  So if your bass feels stiff or taut you should reduce the gauge of the strings.  This reduces the tension and may make it easier to play.

Regards

Davo

• Like 1