Why become a member? ×

Maple necks and sunlight

Paul S

Stupid question #347.

If I stick my pale honey coloured new-ish maple neck out into sunlight on sunny days, will it age and darken the finish much quicker than leaving it indoors?

I suspect the answer will be 'yes' but not sure by how much.

Ta.  

UV will affect the colour of the lacquer or colour first and then the wood (lacquer may contain UV inhibitor).

The temperature changes are big (although the color of the wood is light) so the neck could turn all the time.

Take a picture of the neck before starting the ageing. Then after 100, 200, 500 and 1 000 hours. If your studio has steady lighting, you should see the change.

By the way, UV rays (A and B) get through the clouds, the sun does not have to shine from a cloudless sky.

• Thanks 1

It depends on the finish. Maple with no finish on it will actually get bleached/ paler in sunlight. Some finishes don't yellow either so it depends on what finish is on it. Old school polyurethane and Nitro both will though. The best way to get a yellower neck would be to spray some tinted clear.

There probably won't be much risk from the suns heat...we're in England after all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Manton Customs said:

There probably won't be much risk from the suns heat...we're in England after all.

I left my Jazz Deluxe out last year, it warped the pickguard. Had to soak in boiling water and left it under a heavy granite chopping board for 10 mins to fix.

• Sad 1