Why become a member? ×

Warwick Rockbass Corvette Custom

Guest Marcoelwray

9 minutes ago, Jimothey said:

I couldn't understand why you were going to replace the whole neck for a broken truss rod tho was it because you wanted a Ovangkol or Wenge neck instead of the standard RB maple?? ........ 🤔

Would a broken truss rod not knacker a neck or can they be replaced without having to rip the neck to bits?

Guest Marcoelwray
15 minutes ago, Jimothey said:

I couldn't understand why you were going to replace the whole neck for a broken truss rod tho was it because you wanted a Ovangkol or Wenge neck instead of the standard RB maple?? ........ 🤔

Because replacing the truss rod means unglue the fretboard and that is really not cool. 

41 minutes ago, Marcoelwray said:

Because replacing the truss rod means unglue the fretboard and that is really not cool. 

It's not really that hard to do I did it on a neck a couple of years ago and once I got it starting lifting it came off quite easily probably took about an hour then another couple of hours scraping the glue off the neck and fretboard you'd save yourself a few hundred quid aswell 😀

I might be doing it on a cheap ebay neck to try and convert it from straight to angled headstock to see if it can be done?? Because a couple of my planned projects I want to do angled headstocks but I can't find anywhere to source them from for a reasonable price 🤔 

Edited by Jimothey

46 minutes ago, Unknown_User said:

Would a broken truss rod not knacker a neck or can they be replaced without having to rip the neck to bits?

If you can get the fretboard off then no the neck should be fine unless the neck is twisted or too badly ski sloped?? 😀

Edited by Jimothey
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Marcoelwray said:

Well, it seems that Warwick doesn't want to sell necks without the service, for obvious reasons like avoid counterfeits.... I get it, but I can't afford to spend a total of 535 euros, for a 194 euros neck I can adjust myself.

So I think I'll go for the new fretboard, new trussrods and brass frets... A set of brass frets is about 40 euros, a truss about 30, maple isn't a problem, so it's just about 70 euros and more handwork to repair the neck. Action is really fair in drop D tuning, so I don't know yet when I'm about to start this venture...

@hiram.k.hackenbacker had an issue with a neck in the last few months with a Fender.  At first and in order to quickly fix the issue he bought a Status neck to replace the Fender one with the broken truss rod.  This was good enough to help him keep his gig commitments.

In the end, I believe Fender supplied a new neck without making the additional demands you mention.  Mr Hackenbacker might be good enough to give a better comparison of the two situations (yours and his own).  I doubt that it will help other than for interest though.

I admire your determination to get a good result without throwing lots of money at Warwick.

I agree with @Jimothey    

Reasonable chances of success.  While it's not something I would do unless the alternative was a scrapper, given that the alternative is that this WILL be scrapped otherwise, then well worth a try. 

It is easier to get the right amount of heat if you defret it first - makes getting it hot enough with a household iron more likely to work.  Then a kitchen palette knife.  It takes a lot of heat and patience, but once you can get the knife in one end, as long as you don't try to rush, it should come off.

Medium worst case is that you may need to replace the fretboard (even that is relatively unlikely)

Worst worst case is that you are no worse off than at present.

There are quite a few videos on YouTube.  If you are taking the frets out, don't worry about the fancy Stewmac iron - that's overkill.

Andy

Guest Marcoelwray

@Andyjr1515 Patience.... I don't like that :)

plus for 70 euros I've got the whole bunch (truss, wood, brass frets).

I strongly believe when you start heating/steaming a neck, it can't be good for the neck laminations too... I mean I've seen all videos about that on YT, seems really doable but way too long and needs too much patience for me...

I'm still thinking about that...

Edited by Marcoelwray

I bought my Warwick Thumb BO5 with the frets well worn out and the neck very slightly twisted. The luthier I use was able to de-fret the neck, remove the fingerboard, reshape to remove the twist, then re-fix the neck and fit new Warwick frets. Looking at it now you just can't tell the fingerboard has been off. With patience and skill almost anything is possible. Best of wishes for whatever solution you end up going for. Probably not the most helpful picture but its the only one I have handy.

IMG_0057.JPG

Edited by Marillionred
Additional note

51 minutes ago, Marcoelwray said:

I strongly believe when you start heating/steaming a neck, it can't be good for the neck laminations too... 

I know where you're coming from but, just to clarify:  No - you don't steam it and no, the neck doesn't get hot.  The fretboard does and the glue does.  ;)

A new neck is admittedly more fun though...

Guest Marcoelwray
13 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

A new neck is admittedly more fun though...

Especially now, because I thought of a Amaranth fretboard with brass frets... It'll be just a little bit ostentatious, but....

But I have to admit that unglue the FB, change the truss, reglue the fretboard is the cheapest solution. By far.

FYI (everyone) : my 2004 Streamer's neck is a bit thinner so it's possible to fit in the Rockbass pocket, but needs a little shimming, and of course the Rockbass neck is a little bit too wide for the Streamer's neck pocket. So if someone's wondering, possible but needs some little adjustments.

Guest Marcoelwray
16 minutes ago, prowla said:

A decent luthier-type should be able to replace a truss-rod; there are videos online of people doing it and it seems a straightforward procedure for someone who can work with wood (ie. not me!).

Sure, but ungluing is not something that an instrument has to live technically.... Very stupid decision from Warwick to change their old removable truss.

But, what the... I'll try that.

38 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I now have a ‘61 Fender Flea J neck in a box awaiting it’s destiny. I’m pretty sure I know what’s going to happen to it, but I can’t say just yet

Oo.  Mysterious.  I like mysterious... just so long as you provide closure at some point on the forum.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Marcoelwray

Ok, it took me 30min max. It was so easy. (1 hour counting all heating process etc...)

There is some rust in the old truss! How the heck it can be humidity there? Eastern weather I guess...

I will not put a Warwick truss again, the thread is really fragile, that's why they broke so often. So I will adapt a better truss rod (already waiting for it).

IMG_20190530_181107.jpg

IMG_20190530_183009.jpg

IMG_20190530_183725.jpg

Edited by Marcoelwray

Guest Marcoelwray
17 minutes ago, Jimothey said:

See I told you its easier than you think! Hopefully when I do mine it comes off as easily??....... 😀 

No, really, that was... So easy. I just recommend using a knife like me and let the fretboard heat enough...

Nice work!

I've got a Patrick Eggle Milan IV I was going to scrap as the neck has a twist and a bump in it. Might just try removing the fretboard for practice now!! Never know, might even be able to do something with it rather than toast marsh mallows.....

Edited by Jabba_the_gut

Guest Marcoelwray

Check this guy. The first time I saw the video I thought that it was really unprofessional and amateur but if you check further, this guy has done a ton, hundreds of repairs. So don't judge a book by it's cover indeed, he's right all along. On this video (and following ones) he's fixing a twisted Warwick neck (and truss rod)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Marcoelwray

Hello!

And so all went wrong when I wanted to glue it back, and I smashed the neck and the new trussrod with a machete.

After anger, I managed to find a '90s neck in Wengé (with a REMOVABLE truss).... Just a P missing !

IMG_20190610_195755.jpg

IMG_20190610_195846.jpg

IMG_20190610_195903.jpg

Guest Marcoelwray
15 minutes ago, Pea Turgh said:

I think we all have to vent now and then!  My dad was a cabinetmaker - if he messed something up he’d destroy the piece there and then so it wouldn’t weigh on his mind!

Indeed, indeed! I can say that a neck isn't THAT solid. :lol: