Why become a member? ×

Warwick Rockbass Corvette Custom

Guest Marcoelwray

Guest Marcoelwray

I am really enjoying a successful routing. @Andyjr1515 thanks for the tips, I used them but to make a template ! (And Delano jazz radius of 2.8mm so a 6mm bit works fine) I am too scared to attack directly on the Thuya. Remains the P to rout 😱 

Anyway, looks great so far. Almost a perfect match. Sorry for being so excited about something so basic, but routing jazz and P pickups ain't the most easiest part for me.

I used a simple JC 4 AL to try. @Grangur @machinehead thanks for measurements.

IMG_20190512_184259.jpg

IMG_20190512_184829.jpg

IMG_20190512_184837.jpg

Edited by Marcoelwray

Guest Marcoelwray
9 hours ago, Jimothey said:

That top is looking stunning it's going to be one gorgeous bass when it's finished!!!.............. 

Thanks, I hope so!

I will not go so far but now I'm thinking about maple fretboard... It could look more... "custom" instead of the rosewood RB fingerboard... But that's a bit much work for an upgrade.

Edited by Marcoelwray

2 hours ago, Marcoelwray said:

Thanks, I hope so!

I will not go so far but now I'm thinking about maple fretboard... It could look more... "custom" instead of the rosewood RB fingerboard... But that's a bit much work for an upgrade.

Yeah it would be more work but it would be worth it!! 

_20190513_103232.thumb.JPG.f99f215c77454858c627f0346dd9e07f.JPG

Edited by Jimothey

Guest Marcoelwray

@Jimothey you're killin' me 😛

yeah I know but I rather wait for a complete neck, I really don't want to start a new fretboard on this. Or find a broken/cheap neck to work on... It's almost 700 euros of upgrades (ok, I hadn't to change the hardware but so better in gold!)

If I need to put a new FB, it'll be 40£ of frets (luckily it is sold pre-cutted), and the price of a good piece of maple.... 50£ more or less, and again fret saw etcetera....

Plus, I'd like to have a maple fretboard on a Wengé or Ovangkol neck! 

4 hours ago, Marcoelwray said:

@Jimothey you're killin' me 😛

yeah I know but I rather wait for a complete neck, I really don't want to start a new fretboard on this. Or find a broken/cheap neck to work on... It's almost 700 euros of upgrades (ok, I hadn't to change the hardware but so better in gold!)

If I need to put a new FB, it'll be 40£ of frets (luckily it is sold pre-cutted), and the price of a good piece of maple.... 50£ more or less, and again fret saw etcetera....

Plus, I'd like to have a maple fretboard on a Wengé or Ovangkol neck! 

I think that's right, @Marcoelwray .   It's something I've drifted into in the past - where I've changed so many things that I may as well have built something from scratch in the first place!

And anyway, it's going to look fabulous with that top whatever the fretboard colour!

Guest Marcoelwray

Well, P routing went fine (almost), everything is assembled (neck too), I have to say that gold was the best option. Next post will be a video and a conclusion about; did it worth it? (Waiting the preamp)

IMG_20190515_191342.jpg

Guest Marcoelwray

Good news:

The f****** truss rod is broken. I didn't check before, don't ask. It is still playable but I can't set it up really properly. I'll do the video anyway. I don't know what to do yet. I'm definitely a lucky man.

As a consolation, I can't stop looking at it, and I putted back in the passive electronic, what a vibe! So streamer!

IMG_20190515_221301.jpg

Guest Marcoelwray

Warwick is awesome! They answered and it is possible to get a new neck. Well, so far it's a complete revision including the new neck, with a total of 535 euros (neck, handwork, new strings, fees). But of course I've asked for the neck only; 195 euros.

I'll not sure if they'll be ok to sell the neck without the servicing for obvious money reasons... But I've sent my website, who knows...

Guest Marcoelwray
2 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Just caught up.

In order:

Wow!  Beautiful!

Blast!  How disappointing!

Excellent!  Full marks to Warwick!

Emotional elevator.

If it doesn't work I think I will do a maple fretboard. Later.

Guest Marcoelwray

Well, it seems that Warwick doesn't want to sell necks without the service, for obvious reasons like avoid counterfeits.... I get it, but I can't afford to spend a total of 535 euros, for a 194 euros neck I can adjust myself.

So I think I'll go for the new fretboard, new trussrods and brass frets... A set of brass frets is about 40 euros, a truss about 30, maple isn't a problem, so it's just about 70 euros and more handwork to repair the neck. Action is really fair in drop D tuning, so I don't know yet when I'm about to start this venture...

19 minutes ago, Marcoelwray said:

Well, it seems that Warwick doesn't want to sell necks without the service, for obvious reasons like avoid counterfeits.... I get it, but I can't afford to spend a total of 535 euros, for a 194 euros neck I can adjust myself.

So I think I'll go for the new fretboard, new trussrods and brass frets... A set of brass frets is about 40 euros, a truss about 30, maple isn't a problem, so it's just about 70 euros and more handwork to repair the neck. Action is really fair in drop D tuning, so I don't know yet when I'm about to start this venture...

Would they not supply you a new neck for that price if you sent them the old neck? Seems a bit odd...

Guest Marcoelwray
4 minutes ago, Bigwan said:

Would they not supply you a new neck for that price if you sent them the old neck? Seems a bit odd...

I need to send the whole bass, and for a total of 535 euros, they will replace the neck with a new one (price is 194) but there is handwork (235 euros) and some others costs.... He sent me the detailed price but said that I can't get only the neck...

I think it's a way to avoid people to fix their basses themselves.... That's a bit of a shame because broken truss is the number one disease on Warwick basses.

Just now, Marcoelwray said:

I need to send the whole bass, and for a total of 535 euros, they will replace the neck with a new one (price is 194) but there is handwork (235 euros) and some others costs.... He sent me the detailed price but said that I can't get only the neck...

I think it's a way to avoid people to fix their basses themselves.... That's a bit of a shame because broken truss is the number one disease on Warwick basses.

That seems a little stupid on Warwick's part.

I couldn't understand why you were going to replace the whole neck for a broken truss rod tho was it because you wanted a Ovangkol or Wenge neck instead of the standard RB maple?? ........ 🤔

Edited by Jimothey