Why become a member? ×

Hissing sid

fleabag

On 17/04/2019 at 19:59, fleabag said:

PS as can be seen , none of the Global switching presets are in use, though i do use the mid-scoop when switching to the FET channel.  That doesnt make any difference, because the loud hiss was coming from the tube channel. When i said the FET channel was quieter, its  a lot quieter. Have to have ears to the cab to hear any hiss from the FET channel.

But having said all that, i wonder whats happened since yesterday - the hiss is now barely audible - i'm about  8ft from the amp right now, tube channel on, and i can only just hear the faintest of hiss.  Yesterday it was so loud, i turned the amp off.

Weird.

Does (did) it hiss with no bass plugged in?

Electrical interference from somewhere? Dirty switch/pot (was about to say 'knob' but that would only set Teebs off again)?

What has changed since you last heard the hiss and today? Moved anything? Unplugged anything?

Could it be a poltergeist?

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Or falling it down the stairs?

When you do eventually find out what it is, let us know - I, for one, am intrigued

• Like 1

I never got to the bottom of it, because it fixed itself without any changes.  Aged was right i think, in that he believed that is wasnt the valve, because the hiss disappeared before i replaced the Ruby with the Sovtek.

The only thing i did to the amp was take the lid off, pull the  original Ruby valve out, and simply put it back in, but the hiss continued. Sometime before the new valve was fitted, the hiss disappeared.

This was whether bass was connected or not ..made no difference.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, ahpook said:

Interesting - I've got a Neopak 3.5 and the valve preamp is very noisy, and I too have tried a few different valves but to no avail.

😣

On 15/04/2019 at 17:29, Ricky 4000 said:

Hello, technical dept - How may I help you today? 😃

• Haha 1

Just now, Ricky 4000 said:

Ya, it was easier than copy/pasting. 😃

(and can you tell Skinny that I've ran out of TLRTs, otherwise I'd laugh at him, please?). 👍

Erm, :/ you may find this hard to believe, but I may have accidentally run out of TLRTs as well...

... I shall remedy the situation in the morning.

:/

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ricky 4000 said:

I'm still hoping he'll make me a Moderator one day... first thing I'd do is ban you for life - for a joke. 😃

OMG! (teenage reference)

That would be AMAZING!

(and hilarious) ;)

Moderators exist 'cos of you (mainly)!

:D

1 minute ago, Teebs said:

By the way Ricky, just had a v rewarding evening playing reggae / 2 tone, on a JASS BASS!

I know! :o

Shocking ain't it?!?!

:D

Oh, well after I had that cracked neck delivered - I've been out in the garage trying to fix the old one...

And now I've snapped the truss rod a tiny little bit. 😕

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Ricky 4000 said:

Haha... what ska songs have you been playing? 🤪

Gutted for you about the neck :(

Been playing Specials stuff (new from Encore album) all evening & annoying Mrs Teebs, stopped for a bit for her to watch Graham Norton & The Specials were on, playing exactly what I'd just been learning! :)

Also Fu Manchu & Israelites, Desmond Dekker as well :)

Edited by Teebs
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, Teebs said:

Gutted for you about the neck :(

Been playing Specials stuff (new from Encore album) all evening & annoying Mrs Teebs, stopped for a bit for her to watch Graham Norton & The Specials were on, playing exactly what I'd just been learning! :)

Also Fu Manchu, Desmond Dekker as well :)

Thanks about the neck(s). 🤒

There's Specials new stuff? I'm stuck in the past playing 'The Specials' and a few tracks from 'More Specials'... more convincingly on the P bass, especially now...

On a different note, my popping finger is sore from learning to be Larry Graham! (but on a P bass, with flats!). 😬

Edited by Ricky 4000
  • Like 2

Sorry, I missed this, even though the "notify" box is ticked.

Noise like this can almost always be traced back to noise entering the system. It may be EMC, becoming more commonly encountered with all the new bootlegged (uncertified) LEDs and consumer electronics from China (mostly). The amount some of them can emit is staggering. Sometimes, this can be caused by a cell phone very close to the pickup or the amp but this is probably less common now.

One thing that can help is to be sure that the amplifier is powered by an earthed circuit. The earthing conductor aids in EMC control to a large degree.

• Like 2