Why become a member? ×

Where to get a decent jazz neck ready to go

dave_bass5

I've spent the past few days setting up my Fender P bass with my Lakland jazz neck. All went well and it plays fine, but today i noticed the heel is slightly narrower than the neck pocket, and the neck has about a 2mm gap all the way down.

Rather than mess about with either (I’m not 100% convinced i like the neck anyway) I’d like to buy an off the shelf Jazz neck. I’m useless with drills etc, and have no patience to do these things properly, so i want to get a direct replacement. 

So it would have tuners installed, nut cut and 4 holes cut for a standard Fender MIA P bass. Must be Maple, and rolled edges would be even nicer. 

Can anyone recommend somewhere that could supply the above? 

Cheers. 

I used to use The Stratosphere, which has an Ebay shop. I've bought necks, pickups, scratchplates etc, secondhand. But these days it's an expensive option since the £ nosedived. Also you need a CITES certificate to import rosewood necks from outside the EU.

https://stratosphereparts.com/

Edited by gjones

Cheers all. 

I looked at Northwest before posting but they didnt seem suitable. Ive also looked at Mighty Mite but they need drilling etc.

As above,  the Fender necks arent quite ready to play but do seem to be a good option. Those are MIM necks for that price, and the MIA necks are well over twice that from what i can see. 

Ill take a look at Warmoth. I had one of their necks on a bass years ago, very nice neck IIR. 

I don’t want ot get a new bass and just use the neck. Ive thought about that in the past but I’m a lazy bugger and there is no guarantee I could get rid of it quickly. 

The link is not to a bass with a maple fretboard so that wont do at all. Point taken though. If i was going to go the Mex route i might as well put my (much better) Squier CV Jazz neck on it, but thats not maple anyway (hence the Lakland neck). Or buy a CV jazz with a maple neck

2 minutes ago, gjones said:

I used to use The Stratosphere, which has an Ebay shop. I've bought necks, pickups, scratchplates etc, secondhand. But these days it's an expensive option since the £ nosedived. Also you need a CITES certificate to import rosewood necks from outside the EU.

Yeah, ive used them in the past as well. I hadn’t thought of looking there today, ill go and see what they have.

Maybe my first post wasnt clear but I’m only after a maple/maple neck. 

Cheers.

24 minutes ago, Marcoelwray said:

Really, I worked with Warmoth several times. They are Fender Licensed. Quality is simply outstanding.

Can't you find your happiness inthere? 

http://www.warmoth.com/Pages/ClassicShowcase.aspx?Body=1&Bass=1&Shape=38&Path=JBass&fWood=1

Well yeah, as i said above I’m going to look on their website, and as above, ive also used one of their necks so know their quality. 

Guest Marcoelwray

Ok ok ... Just tempting you so... ;)

(Ok this one was a special order but this birdseye/birdseye maple neck with block inlays, oh my!)

IMG_2464.JPG

Edited by Marcoelwray

Not tempted at all.  I cant stand black blocks on a maple fretboard, nor a Jazz without a control plate and PG.

But the Birdseye maple is wonderful.

I spec'ed a neck on Warmoth and its working out at about £350 in shipping. Probably more than i want to spend on a neck, and this was more or less just the basic options.

Edited by dave_bass5

I’m 100% happy gigging with either of my Squiers, although i chose not to at the moment. So paying more doesn’t equate to getting more sometimes. 

If it feels right it is right. Sometimes we have to  pay more for a particular set up, and of course nicer wood etc, but these are personal wants rather than must haves IME. 

Still, you are right, the classifieds might be an option, although there is already someone looking for a jazz neck.

10 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

I got a MIM replacement neck to go on a Fender Modern Player Jazz Bass I used to own, the neck was gorgeous.

Yeah, i wasnt saying there was anything wrong with a  MIM, just how much more expensive the MIA necks are. A MIM would be fine if i found the right combination.