Why become a member? ×

Feeling the burn (Double Bass content)

EdLib-3

Hi all,

I have developed a deep and sharp burning pain in my forearms for the last couple of months when playing the Double Bass. Despite the fact that I am still in the beginner stage of learning the instrument, I have been told by my teacher that my left hand technique looks alright so bad technique doesn't appear to be to blame. I've never been able to practice for long periods on the DB but my hope was that building up short bursts of practice would build the necessary strength to work through and alleviate the discomfort and inflammation; this is not happening. I am not able to practice for more than 15 minutes without having to stop because of the pain.

I have been stretching and using massage tools on my forearms but this problems persists and the only way it gets better is if I don't play the DB. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this and how they have got through it? Any advice or experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.