Why become a member? ×

NBD Bolin NS5

Mikey D

As many others have since the dawn of time I've been on the search for 'my perfect' bass for quite a while.

I've been on this site forever but not really been active for years although I've looking for a fretted GWB to pair with my upgraded fretless GWB35 for what feels like forever so came to post in the wanted thread a request for one (along with a Promethean P5110). I thought I'd have a peek to see what's out there and this bass was listed.

It culminated in a few thoughts/realisations:

1. I've always liked the idea of a singlecut but don't like many singlecut designs, and I'm not affording a Fodera anytime soon.

2. I've always loved Steve Swallows piezo sound

3. I've always been really drawn to the Bolin headstock since I first saw it on this very site.

4. It feels like I'm never finding a bloody fretted GWB.

So I did a bit of research and ended up picking up this bass today. Best bit was on the call with Brian last night to talk details "it's got this bit of wood with it that I have no idea what it is". With the defret and refret that I found had happened to it I thought maybe a neck shim or something...even better than that, turns out a previous owner had a ramp made for it.

So here I am with 'my perfect' bass, restrung E-C, quick setup with the ramp attached (wasn't sure whether to go in centre or by bridge but for now this suites my playing position). Not the GWB fretted I expected to end up with but on initial impressions think something much better. And the Piezos...wow.

As for the internetting...I've done some more today and found quite a few owners on here. If anyone else has any information on how it got from being built in the US over 10 years ago to today I would be really interested to hear.

Past owners:

Lastrega: ??
Bassmachine (thanks for the ramp!: ?? - Jan/Feb 2016
Pluckedout: Feb 2016 - Feb 2017 (defretted)
PaulS: Feb 2017 - Q4 2018 (refretted)
Sunfish: Q4 2018 - Apr 2019
MikeyD: Apr 2019 - ?

IMG_20190414_143304.jpg

IMG_20190414_143324.jpg

MVIMG_20190414_154338.jpg

Edited by Mikey D
Add picture
  • Like 3

Can't help flesh out any detail but so glad it seems to have landed into the lap of someone who is going to do this fantastic bass some justice.  :) 

Whilst I had hold of the baton I had it refretted and, I believe, improved for that.  Still far too nice for me, though.

8 minutes ago, Paul S said:

Can't help flesh out any detail but so glad it seems to have landed into the lap of someone who is going to do this fantastic bass some justice.  :) 

Whilst I had hold of the baton I had it refretted and, I believe, improved for that.  Still far too nice for me, though.

If this was still fretless I'd have not given it a second thought as I'm sorted for that. So definitely a good call. My wife however might not have same feelings...

20 hours ago, owen said:

The piezo sound to rule them all.

You're both not wrong. I spent some time balancing the potentiometers last night as the G and C were so quiet. But now it's all how I like I can't get over the how good the sound is. My GWB with Nordstrand sounded so good in a modern way but I'm now at least 1% closer to sounding like Steve Swallow.

Now I just need my 'perfect' combo to pair with it.