Why become a member? ×

Markbass Minimark 802 anyone ?

JohnFitzgerald

I'm currently toying with the idea of getting one of the above.
I currently have a Markbass JB combo, the 1x15" and a matching NY 151 Blackline qx15" cab.

It's a compact 2x15" setup, but I'd like something that's even more compact and an ideal casual pickup for the increasing number of acoustic gigs I do these days.

Does anyone have any experience with them ? 

It's this guy here :-

markbass-minimark-802-combo-_1_BAS0006816-000.thumb.jpg.0761cf0bc5fb32a93049cf05627d3b55.jpg

It would be as an alternative to this, my current setup :-

IMG_0430.JPG.f2395a96ea3739fcd834f13efb0c8cda.JPG

I had one and it was quite pokey yet easy to carry. I did find it was voiced differently to my other MB combos and I struggled to get much treble out of the  EQ which just just VPF and VLE. I did a  review of the 801 and 802 in the reviews section.It does seem more suited to acoustic and double basses tonally ( to my ears)

I was however  impressed with the new Marcus Miller 101 combo I tried recently which is a 10" speaker and only 60 watts  but nice and small. It sounded immense for such a small power output.

The 802 will not give you the headroom of your current rig which with the extra speaker gives you the full 250 watts.

If you wish to stick with MB, try a CMD 121 P which on its own is around 300 watts or 500 with an extension. It's my go-to for home practice and small gigs

Edited by yorks5stringer

19 hours ago, yorks5stringer said:

I had one and it was quite pokey yet easy to carry. I did find it was voiced differently to my other MB combos and I struggled to get much treble out of the  EQ which just just VPF and VLE. I did a  review of the 801 and 802 in the reviews section.It does seem more suited to acoustic and double basses tonally ( to my ears)

I was however  impressed with the new Marcus Miller 101 combo I tried recently which is a 10" speaker and only 60 watts  but nice and small. It sounded immense for such a small power output.

The 802 will not give you the headroom of your current rig which with the extra speaker gives you the full 250 watts.

If you wish to stick with MB, try a CMD 121 P which on its own is around 300 watts or 500 with an extension. It's my go-to for home practice and small gigs

Thanks for the insight, that's very useful.
I had envisaged the 802 for use with my acoustic band.
If I'm being honest, the current combo isn't a difficult lift either.

I'll check out the Marcus Miller 101 too.