Why become a member? ×

First Body Build

Unknown_User

5 minutes ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

You can get some cheap and cheerful drills off eBay such as these

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7Pcs-Extra-Long-Wood-Drill-Bit-Set-12-300mm-Woodworking-Tool-4-5-6-7-8-10-12mm/162806105922?epid=4011493968&hash=item25e8000742:g:YJwAAOSwmWNclKKx

if you are are running wires pretty much the length of the body you would be best routing a channel before you put the top on. You might also want to do something to protect the channel from glue ingress. There would be nothing worse than having the channel blocked by glue once the top is on. I have used things like milkshake straws for this - sounds daft but works for me!!

Thanks for those bits link as well - need them for an upcoming 

20 minutes ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

You can get some cheap and cheerful drills off eBay such as these

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7Pcs-Extra-Long-Wood-Drill-Bit-Set-12-300mm-Woodworking-Tool-4-5-6-7-8-10-12mm/162806105922?epid=4011493968&hash=item25e8000742:g:YJwAAOSwmWNclKKx

if you are are running wires pretty much the length of the body you would be best routing a channel before you put the top on. You might also want to do something to protect the channel from glue ingress. There would be nothing worse than having the channel blocked by glue once the top is on. I have used things like milkshake straws for this - sounds daft but works for me!!

That is a good point.  I hadn't thought about glue getting into the channels.  That's definitely something I'm going to have to have a think about.

Does anyone have any recommendations about the best sort of glue to use for that?

8 hours ago, Unknown_User said:

I've no idea how they do the solid bodies with the holes for the wires drilled horizontally through.  I'm presuming it must be a tiny team of Lemmings, like in the old computer game.

You can usually drill through both P/U cavities from the neck pocket with an appropriately long drill bit. the entry hole is then concealed within the neck joint.

PS

if that body finishes up the shape and size of the vintage Overwater, then Roksan do a rather nice quality padded bag for them, and they happen to follow the shape.

Wunjos had them in stock a few months ago

• 3 weeks later...

Work has stalled badly on this because we're up to the stage of routing out channels for the wires and control cavity, but the cheapo router I bought came with 6mm & 8mm collets and the only bits I can find are in 1/4" & 1/2".  So the 1/4" bit we've got for it doesn't fit.  🤬

I found a 1/4" collet on Amazon that looked the same shape as the 6mm & 8mm ones that were supplied and after a couple of weeks that finally arrived today.  So I'm going to have a go and see if it all fits together and works over the weekend.

*fingers crossed*

3 hours ago, Jimothey said:

Ooohhhh have you got any pics of the body so far?? I've been waiting for router bits so I can carry on with my 51 P bass build so I feel your pain......... 😀 

Unfortunately nothing much has changed from the first post.  🙁 

All we've done other than that is to mark off some bits that we need to cut out where the neck pocket is to go and measure up where the bridge and pickups will go.  Although that's mostly just to get an idea of where the channels for the wires will need to be cut. 

I plan to cut the channels, rout the control cavity and the cavity for the jack socket.  Then when all that's done to get the top wood on, then rout out for the neck and pickups.

• 3 weeks later...

Work stalled for a long time due to much messing around waiting for suitably compatible router collets and bits, but we've finally made some small progress with it.  We've routed out a channel for the wires to run through and also cavities for the jack socket and the pots to go. 

The cavity for the pots is in the lower horn because there was a dirty great nail hole in the back of the body there.  So we thought we'd put it there to get rid of that.  Although it means a longer run of wires.

On reflection I've realised that I'm probably going to have to run another channel below where the pick ups will go because I will have to solder the jack plug before the top wood goes on.  So if I run it through the channel I've cut there I'll shred the wire when I rout out for the pickups.

4 Channels.png