Why become a member? ×

*Gone* Rob Allen MB2 4 string: Price Drop £1200
£1300
Bournemouth

Grewster

From  one of the best luthiers in the US (there is always a waiting list for his instruments) all hand-made with love and attention to detail. This is one of his MB2 four string basses and with the built-in piezo pickup it is as close as you’ll get to a natural  sound with an electric. The addition of the active Bartolini really expands the tonal range that you can get with this guitar. And at a shade under 7 lbs, it’s also ridiculously light.

Materials: Birdseye Maple Neck, Cocobolo fretboard, Alder Body with a figured Maple top made in 2007. Unlined, but there are dots up the side of the neck making it very easy to play!

The added pickup is on it's own Bartolini Fretless voiced preamp that was kept entirely separate from the stock piezo. It's wired to work based on using a cable (not supplied, but easy to make up) that has the ring/tip wires reversed. So, you plug in a regular cable at it's a Rob Allen through and through, you plug in a "switched" cable and you have a mag pup with Volume (active/passive push/pull), Mid push/pull, and stacked bass/treble. Work was done professionally by another top US luthier Mike Lull.

As I’m writing this I’m wondering why on earth I’m selling it - it’s a fantastic guitar and I was SO excited, not to mention priveleged when I got it. I only ever used it on studio sessions where it got nothing but compliments. The truth is that I have defected to 5 string basses and can’t seem to find my way back. 

There are a couple of scuffs here and there and a ding on the top of the body which I have tried to photograph, but nothing that affects the beauty and sheer tone of this wonderful instrument.

Will come well-packed in a lightweight but strong Gator case.

Shipping at cost, UK only. As usual, very happy to quickly answer any specific question or supply more pics. Thanks for looking.

41EF7CDF-27FC-4830-A46E-643C28E4C6BD.jpeg

5674B04A-EE21-4345-9742-1F7457BFA07B.jpeg

E57F2FF9-6915-4E3F-BF32-54F5F54BA628.jpeg

8EA2EAEA-5231-49AE-860A-936AB8C81335.jpeg

5C8FAAEE-B01A-497D-9F74-CB461324B435.jpeg

56A7EE1F-965E-403E-9374-2C5A81115A82.jpeg

Edited by Grewster
Sold!
  • Like 3

Cool! I love my 5-string MB-2 - literally the most comfortable bass I've ever owned.

Was the Bartolini added by you, or did it come from Rob like that? Just interested! Also, do you have any interest in trades?

Cheers!

Edited by samuelcroberts