Why become a member? ×

Mr.Blue Sky.pdf

Been teaching my 10 year old Grandson bass. After wracking my brains I rediscovered my love of ELO and this bass line. He nailed the bass line to the intro and verse no problem. Will be teaching him the chorus next week.  The walking bass line section will be his homework. His Mum tells me he is able to sing along while playing along. The rug rat is an aspiring Jack Bruce, Mark King, Sting etc. However he is only 10, I just hope his enthusiasm continues or I can sustain his love of the bass while I try to teach him to read so he will no longer need his grandad to show him. 

If any basschatters can suggest any similar tunes for a beginner  I would appreciate any suggestions.

Mr Blue Sky is a great song to play. I found the walking bit a bit tricky - so that sounds like a good workout for your ten-year old grandson. Another walking bassline he is likely to enjoy is My Baby Just Cares for Me by Nina Simone. It really is fun to play, swings like crazy, and should be doable if he can play Mr Blue Sky. It's actually a good one to read - so maybe it will help to get him into reading.

There are plenty of transcriptions online (the song was written in 1930) and plenty of bad bass playalongs. But listen to Nina Simone's version. If he likes, it - go for it. It's a bit of a musical education in itself.

I hope you do not mind me downloading this to use wal4string? it is a song I have been thinking would be good to have a go at for while.

Unfortunately I think your grandson will have the playing edge on me.

Thanks again.

On 16/04/2019 at 10:43, naxos10 said:

I hope you do not mind me downloading this to use wal4string? it is a song I have been thinking would be good to have a go at for while.

Unfortunately I think your grandson will have the playing edge on me.

Thanks again.

No problem with you downloading. I posted it for fellow basschatters to enjoy.