Why become a member? ×

Sire Basses etc - what's the difference in sound of the wood?

Chrisbassboy5

23 hours ago, Grangur said:

What came out was the maple necks gave a more bass tone and the rosewood gave a brighter tone. This may have been a coincidence, but it was interesting how this coincidence followed across 4-5 pairs of basses.

I'd always assumed it would be the opposite of that, but that's probably because of the visual tone of the wood influencing my brain. 

Thing is, all basses have tone controls, so just a little tweek of the bass or treble will negate the apparent affect of the woods..? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, StevieE said:

I'd always assumed it would be the opposite of that, but that's probably because of the visual tone of the wood influencing my brain. 

Thing is, all basses have tone controls, so just a little tweek of the bass or treble will negate the apparent affect of the woods..? 

Lozz and I too, had also assumed Rosewood would give the more deep tone.

If you're using a passive bass; as most Fenders are, the "tone control" is a treble cut. If you're looking to have a more aggressive, treble tone, then the tone on the bass won't fix this. Yes, you can boost it on the amp, but this is a discussion on the influence of wood might have on the tone of a bass. In truth any slight variance in the tone that is/can be achieved by the small influence the wood can probably be dialed in/out in an EQ.  

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, StevieE said:

What I wanted to say but put more eloquently 😁

But  if we accept this and dismiss the conversation completely,  then we wouldn't have conversation at all. On that basis, we wouldn't we dismiss a lot of the conversation on Basschat?

40 minutes ago, Grangur said:

But  if we accept this and dismiss the conversation completely,  then we wouldn't have conversation at all. On that basis, we wouldn't we dismiss a lot of the conversation on Basschat?

Interesting question. 

If something is determined to be a fact, then any expression of opinion which is counter to that is ultimately pointless as facts aren't up for debate, but opinions are. 

I'm not sure that accepting that an electronic "fix" would be reason enough to dismiss the conversation. The effect of wood on tone is still up for debate whether electrics are employed to negate any changes. 

Edited by StevieE
Grammar...