Why become a member? ×

Sire Basses etc - what's the difference in sound of the wood?

Chrisbassboy5

11 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

Very little when you plug it into an amp to be honest. The only issue is weight - Sires can be very heavy. 

+1

If you are recording or using in-ears the smallest details can make a difference, but on a gig, standing next to a drummer, those subtle differences will be hard to spot. Just pick the bass that sounds good to you. I've owned alder and ash basses and the differences are pretty much evened out by your amp and cabs. I'm picky about my overall sound but I wouldn't say yes or no to a bass based on the wood.

The weight is a problem. I'd own one if they came in at under 9lbs.

• Like 3

When I bought my fretless Sire V7, once I'd decided to buy a Sire, I chose that specific model purely based on aesthetics.

I like natural finished basses and the Maple board is a bit unusual on a fretless.

The actual type of wood used in the construction wasn't something I thought about at all.

Edited by Cato

Sure pick ups and EQ etc. Can even out any differences as said, but I am in the camp that not just the body wood, but fretboard wood make a difference in the sound that comes out - it has to.

Electronics for the most are not that variable as they are not living structures. If you straight lifted electronics from one bass to another, to another etc. There will be a variance in sound - you hear of people talking about dead, dull, lifeless basses.......

That being said I am not an exotic or any wood snob - I still agree with pick up and use the one that works for you whatever the make up and combination of woods, or non wood materials.

• Like 1

Not to get into the can of worms...but.

Generally speaking, in my experience, others may dismiss etc...(although I’m bob on right - had lots of rainy afternoons in a guitar shop to figure this out, 12 years worth...also, don’t start me on how weather changes them)

Alder/Rosewood - ‘Warmer’ sounding, lovely softer edge to the sound - notes ‘bloom’. Great for fingerstyle and such. 

Ash/Maple - Punchy, snappy, very solid fundamental note - direct sounding. Great for Slap bass, Hard funky fingerstyle.

(edit - this is a generalisation, you can do any style you wish on any bass, whether it sounds ‘right’ or not is down to your ears/preference either way)

Someone will come along later and say something along the lines of “it makes no odds, it’s down to pickup choice, pickup placement, and tone is in the fingers...”

Yes they’re all contributing factors, but the way notes travel through a dense bit of ash, through the strings and into the pickups has some effect. 

Anyhow, not getting into too much detail - literally choose one and play it. If it’s made of moon rock or Blackpool rock, as long as you’re enjoying it...it doesn’t matter.

I know with Sire it won’t be easy as some because they’re mainly available online. See if any local Basschatter can help?

I’ve never played one, although I wouldn’t mind a go...just to see what the fuss is about.

Edited by AndyTravis
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

Well, you know I won’t say that - I fully agree with what you said, except that to add Blackpool rock will sound sweeter.....

It’s only grown in coastal regions though 😉

Fingerboards do affect sound too - to a more subtle degree. I agree there, should’ve said that too.

3 minutes ago, lownote12 said:

I had three alders and an ash.  Sold the ash as soon as I could - couldn't get the sort of deep blooming sound I like. So probably ideal for slap.

MM plays the Ash one so that seems to make sense.

Did you keep all the alder ones out of interest?

Solid construction, fit & finish, that's what I would care for once I picked a brand & model. 

The best thing you can do is to play a few side to side, see what it feels like to you. 

Like Chris-b said, after all other factors the choice of wood makes less than a percent difference.

• Sad 1

Absolutely. I went to Andertons in Guildford with my 13 year old as he was into them with all their YT work. It was he'll of a return trip for 2 shop driving from Staffordshire return to Guldford. Andertons are the only UK supplier so unless you order on the net you have to drive like I did!

I was after an Ibanez SR 550 really. Tried one and they handed me 2 Mum's 5 string to try. I thought they were great but fumbled with the tones etc ad this was before I learnt of MM and how/what they worked. Funny the Andertons etc make a point of advertising the different woods, incl neck like it makes a difference... hence the start if this post...

I'm 50 in Sept and likely go for MM V7 or so but will need to go for the day as I'll not spend £500+ unless I've tried them all and settled on one I really like..

Still torn between an IB SR high end with Barts, or a MM...?

Any advice appreciated, including wood? On this post guys..

Chris

Don't know about Sires, and I've never owned a bass with an Alder body.

But in respect of tone woods, if they all sounded the same, all bass bodies would be made from the cheapest wood that can be sourced locally to the factory. How much it matters to you may depend on what you play, how you play and who you play it with.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I owned an Alder body/Rosewood fingerboard V7. It was heavy, but was very resonant with great sustain. This was especially evident unplugged.

Overall, a good bass for the price however, on reflection I'd say they were over-hyped at the time. I had a few niggles with mine: one of the fingerboard inlays sat 1mm proud of the surface (at an uneven angle) and the preamp quickly developed a nasty - and noisy -fault. I wasnt overly keen on the hardware either tbh. 

I have mixed feelings on them for this reason. My honest tuppenceworth.

Edited by White Cloud

13 hours ago, White Cloud said:

I owned an Alder body/Rosewood fingerboard V7. It was heavy, but was very resonant with great sustain. This was especially evident unplugged.

Overall, a good bass for the price however, on reflection I'd say they were over-hyped at the time. I had a few niggles with mine: one of the fingerboard inlays sat 1mm proud of the surface (at an uneven angle) and the preamp quickly developed a nasty - and noisy -fault. I wasnt overly keen on the hardware either tbh. 

I have mixed feelings on them for this reason. My honest tuppenceworth.

Yep. On YT simply no one has a bad word to say.. they wouldn't would they as mist are 1st impressions and others selling.. like Andertons..