Why become a member? ×

Scott Devine. That intro song.

bubinga5

10 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

More self indulgent jazz noodling like most of Scott's content.

No denying he's talented, but it does absolutely nothing for me. 

Why is it self indulgent.?? I don't get it. So a professional bass player like Scott is just plays like this to serve his own ego.?

• Like 6

1 hour ago, bubinga5 said:

Why is it self indulgent.?

I don't think "self-indulgent" really exists in music; you either like it or you don't! And within those 2 categories there's "well-played" and "badly played".

Some folks seem to think that anything with more than 3 notes is "self indulgent", especially if there's complex rhythm, modal or (God forbid!) "outside" playing.

Personally I prefer "more outside the better with cojones the size of the moon", but Mr. D played that beautifully, as did the band. Wouldn't buy it though!

• Like 7

In defence of Mr Newfoundfreedom, whilst it is very well-played, I kind of agree that it doesn’t do anything for me as a piece of music. This is where good composition separates a good piece of “music” from mildly aimless noodling. I don’t agree that it is self-indulgent, however; it’s quite restrained from a widdle point of view :)

• Thanks 1

I really liked that.

i do feel some of his online stuff is just like “the grand tour” for bass players and has worn a bit thin, so I generally avoid his videos now.

The playing from all participants is brilliant, that overwater sounds ace. Some neat ideas with “accidental” notes and to be fair if that’s on Spotify it’s going on my commute playlist.

It’s jazz type music with pop/rock structure - not noodling or spiralling overwhanking.

He is a very “complete” player. I admire that.

• Like 5

Sadly, in the UK, with success comes the negativity! We've seen it with others and now it's Scott's turn.

Most of us come and go and leave no impression on bass playing. I think its a no-brainer that the bass world is a far better place for Scott Devine being in it.

He isn't always to my taste but as he isn't always talking to me, I wouldn't expect everything to be relevant. SBL is a quality product that I guess is designed to reach and help the widest range of bass players who are at many levels of development and have many interests. A tough task and I don't see anyone even half as good at it as Scott.

• Like 12

2 hours ago, mentalextra said:

Hmmm. It's advertising but not as we know it? Lol

In the pre-internet days we used to call it 'word of mouth'...

<edit> I like a bit of fusion although in a few parts it gets close to what they used to play on TC 'interludes' back when I was a lad. I would say that the stand-out aspect of that track is that it showcases good technique rather than outstanding chops.

Edited by Stub Mandrel

It’s funny how every thread about Scott or his playing/SBL thing has the same people commenting “bla bla, it does nothing for me” - great, we get it. But why the hell do you click on these threads and post the same thing? Just move on ffs... don’t waste your time.

Also, reading some of these comments, it makes me think that people are just jealous of the level of skill that Scott has.

@bubinga5 thanks for sharing.

Edited by PawelG
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, PawelG said:

It’s funny how every thread about Scott or his playing/SBL thing has the same people commenting “bla bla, it does nothing for me” - great, we get it. But why the hell do you click on these threads and post the same thing? Just move on ffs... don’t waste your time.

Well, the same could be said of any subject on this forum. If we could only laud what people say and do, it wouldn't be much of a discussion forum !

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bubinga5 said:

Why is it self indulgent.?? I don't get it. So a professional bass player like Scott is just plays like this to serve his own ego.?

A lot of musicians feel threatened by technical ability and composition or improvisation on a level beyond what they normally play or listen to. Rather than saying nothing they feel the need to insult the players or the music. It's a strange phenomenon. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

I think it’s great watching people enjoying the groove, whatever the genre or instrument. Look how much fun they’re all having here, even if you don’t like the tune (I do) then who could begrudge someone playing bass and enjoying it? Isn’t that what we all want? Isn't that what all this is ultimately about? 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I'm guessing @Newfoundfreedom just was a bit unlucky with his choice of words, so I'm not trying to criticise him here. It's more of a general observation that I've had for decades:

This thread again reminds me of the words by B.B. King and by a famous Norwegian folk musician, who both answered the laden question "...but what music do you listen to?" in similar fashion:

- Music that inspires me. Most of the people who listen to my music tell me that the stuff I listen to is not Blues / is not Norwegian folk, but it is. It's just on another level - a level that guys like myself need to get our inspiration from.

It seems hard for some to grasp that they have their own place in the inspirational chain, and that that place not necessarily is at the top of the triangle. Disparaging comments about people higher up the chain make you less modest than B.B. King was.

Edited by BassTractor
  • Like 2