Why become a member? ×

Thinking of downsizing...

BurtTurkman

Evening Bass lovers...i'm a newbie as of today and I need some advice, if you would be so kind.

The older I get, the less and less I want to lug my amp and cab around...it seems to be getting heavier each time i play a gig. I was wondering if there's a combo available on the market worth investigating that can handle anything from a pub gig to a wedding and could give my back a break. Currently running a Warwick ProFet 5.1 and a Warwick 4x12 cab...which I love but she's a big lump!

Thanks

41 minutes ago, BurtTurkman said:

Evening Bass lovers...i'm a newbie as of today and I need some advice, if you would be so kind.

The older I get, the less and less I want to lug my amp and cab around...it seems to be getting heavier each time i play a gig. I was wondering if there's a combo available on the market worth investigating that can handle anything from a pub gig to a wedding and could give my back a break. Currently running a Warwick ProFet 5.1 and a Warwick 4x12 cab...which I love but she's a big lump!

Thanks

Welcome to BC Burt!

Like you, I'm a massive fan of portability, which is not least driven by the fact that, despite being the oldest member of a couple of my bands, I still seem to have been lumbered with the most gear to take to gigs!

A few Qs if I may, to point us in the right direction:

Do you have a budget cap in mind? And are you happy getting good condition used gear, as well as new?

Are you settled on getting a combo rather than lightweight separates?

What's your typical band line up (e.g. loud drummer?) and how much is going through back line vs the PA?

Ashdown RM combos are worth checking out, light, powerful, and reasonably priced, plus great customer service from a UK based company.

Also worth checking out the separates in the RM range too - even the 410 is only about 50lbs, stick some castors on it and incredibly easy to move about and with the 500 watt head a rig capable for pretty much any venue that doesn`t need backline through FOH.

Edited by Lozz196

If the main problem is the cab (not surprising - no 4x12 could truly be described as "lightweight"), why not keep the head and investigate smaller/lighter alternatives? I switched from two large cabs to several smaller ones. The beauty is that they are scalable - I take as few/many as needed for a job. I guess as you use a 4x12 that you need to make some noise on occasion. A couple of lightweight modern 1x12s (see the usual suspects/brands recommended on here) should see you right and you can take just one if it's a smaller job.

I wouldn't recommend a combo. Separate head + cabs is more flexible.

Edited by Dan Dare

1 hour ago, Dan Dare said:

I wouldn't recommend a combo. Separate head + cabs is more flexible.

+1

IMO if you are serious about downsizing for your comfort/health/back then a modular rig with separate amp and cabs is the way to go. I'd stick with the amp for the time being so you can put the whole budget towards the cab(s). The good news is that these days you can easily do much better than a 412.

IMO a 212 by Mesa, Bergantino, Vanderkley, Genzler or Barefaced etc would easily beat your old cab for tone and volume. You have a lot of great choices these days, including light 210's and 410's.

When I had to downsize I looked at powerful lightweight cabs and bought a couple of Barefaced 112's. At 21lbs each my back is thanking me on every gig. These cabs are 600 watts each and a 500 watt amp will be loud enough to fill any room and meet any gigging situation.

+1 

Seperate amp and speakers will give you maximum options and minimum carrying difficulties. Amp + 1 cab for rehearsals and small gigs, amp + 2 cabs for anything else. Plenty of lightweight efficient small cabs to be had, assuming your budget isn’t too tight. Another recommendation here for the Barefaced range.

• Like 1

Morning BC. 

Thanks everyone for your advice! Think i'm gonna stick with the amp i have for now and check out some of your suggestions for cabs....lots to explore! Played last night....and actually realised how lazy our singer is...so got him to carry some stinky poo for a change. Tore him away from the ladies but he didn't moan that much. 

Cheers Gang

If you want super light, Barefaced 2xOne10 or 1xTwo10. You'll need to put a beer glass on the One10 to stop it blowing away. But they're not cheap. I love Markbass cabs and they run about £250 secondhand. Depends on whether you want real bass sound - or something else. :)

Why keep the head? I had a Profet 5.1 and it weighed a ton. I wouldn't stick with any of it.  Depends on your taste but a Markbass LM2 or 3 will set you back about £2-300 and kick out 500w with 1x 4 ohm or 2x 8 ohm cabs. 

Edited by lownote12