Why become a member? ×

FGN Fujigen Mighty Jazz Private Reserve Bass
£950

attackbass

Putting this stunning and slightly unusual bass up for sale.

This is an FGN Mighty Jazz Private Reserve Bass. Sort of a super Jazz bass so to speak, built by the Japanese Guitar Fujigen company in Japan, responsible for a lot of Fender Japan guitars and I think also Ibanez. 

It's a beautiful bass and top of the range for this line, Private Reserve is sort of like their custom shop as far as I know. 

The bass features:

A two piece ash body in tobacco burst

24 fret Maple neck with maple fingerboard

Black pearl inlay markers

Passive Jazz bass electronics with V V T controls

Black scratch plate and black hardware, hi mass bridge and gotoh vintage style tuners. Bridge is strung through body or top loading. Always had it strung through the body.

I used the bass for touring for about two/three years and is an incredibly well made and sounding instrument. Through a valve head and 8x10 it sounded monstrous! Feels lovely to play, has a really nice action and the fretwork is amazing. 

The body finish is a high gloss but the neck has a really nice satin finish which is very smooth and feels natural. 

There are a couple of dings on the bass I've tried to show on the photos, nothing serious or hugely noticeable and considering the amount of shows and travelling the bass did is testament to it's quality as an instrument. The black finish on the bridge has worn away a bit, I'm not exactly sure how they treated the hardware but it looks quite cool in a well played but loved instrument way. 

The expert range of this bass tend to sell for about £1550/1600 new. I don't know if they actually sell the private reserve models. This bass was gifted to me through an endorsement deal with FGN back in 2012. My contact with the company has since left and I no longer hold a deal with the company. I'll be sad to see it go, but I just don't use it anymore really and I already have too many basses kept under the bed for nostalgia!! 

Any questions please send me a message.... The Chug is not included in the sale!! Haha

Includes hard case.

Weight is about 4.7 - 5kg on the bathroom scales.

IMG_20190412_122331.jpg

IMG_20190412_122451.jpg

IMG_20190412_122321.jpg

IMG_20190412_122341.jpg

IMG_20190412_122410.jpg

IMG_20190412_122429.jpg

IMG_20190412_122424.jpg

IMG_20190412_122932.jpg

IMG_20190412_123021.jpg

IMG_20190412_123030.jpg

IMG_20190412_123150.jpg

IMG_20190412_123244.jpg

IMG_20190414_181747.jpg

IMG_20190414_181755.jpg

Edited by attackbass
Photos of hard case and weight now added
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Geek99 said:

We have two of those .... one stunningly clever and one unbelievably stupid 

Yep the one of the photo is a bright dog and my girlfriends dog, I have a black pointer cross who is a complete idiot, a bit like me!

Back to the bass I have added photos of the hardcase and picture of the fretguard on the bass and also the weight of the bass.

Guest Marcoelwray

The inlays are, indeed, amazing. Such a nice touch.

I'm looking for a JB maple but mainly in trade so I'm just asking this by curiousity;

@attackbass where do you place this bass amongst the whole world of Jazz Basses? Best I've ever tried is a Suhr Custom, but just in the sound/finition category (without thinking about price), I'm wondering what could be a equivalent JB to that one? (again I'm curious, because I never heard of such a JB)

Hey @Marcoelwray

I really haven't played any jazz basses that aren't fenders apart from the FGN. None that were memorable anyway. 

Compared to my US Fender 75 Reissue the FGN has as similar sort of vintage tone but more solid and modern in terms of having a lot more low end and high end, increased sustain and just more responsive to your playing. It's probably a more comfortable instrument to play and sounds like a bigger fatter, vintage  Jazz bass.

I've read people comparing them to sadowsky but I can't comment having never played one. The fit, quality of build, components and finish is amazing.

There is a video on YouTube of session bassist Garth Fielding playing and raving about the basses. 

My brother in law has a 2000s jazz us standard and it blows that away. 

For a huge rock tone, they sounded incredible through my old orange 8x10 and ad200b compared to my jazz, my neo classic fgn jazz or lakland p bass. We used to play a lot of 500-1000+ venues in Europe and it just sounded thunderous. Huge punch and attack, and I think the frequency range of the bass was just bigger if that can be a thing, that's what it felt like anyway.

Guest Marcoelwray

The best thing with this kind of JB, is that you can swap the pickups and in the same time the character of the instrument.... A shame people don't like to have a FGN on the headstock instead of Fender, Sadowsky, etc...

I can't afford it but could you make a sound sample or two?

Guest Marcoelwray

Stop bumping this! It makes me feel depressed!

Oh, my! I just bump it again.

Can someone please but this to cure a GAS?