Why become a member? ×

Audio conversion FLAC to MP3.

NancyJohnson

I was wondering whether any of my learned friends would be able to help me out with an audio conversion problem.

Recently, I was given a drive containing audio files encoded in FLAC format at 24 bit/96khz, while I can listen to these on my PC without issue, I'd love to shoot them around my house and listen on my assorted Sonos units, but Sonos only supports 24 bit/48khz maximum. 

Any idea how to downconvert; MP3/320kbps is fine.  I have dropped the files into my DAW but while I can batch convert/output/save to MP3, the maximum bitrate I can save to is 128kbps, despite forcing the DAW to encode at a CBR of 320kbps.  Curiously, I can save the FLAC to a WAV, but the files are unplayable on the Sonos system (despite other WAVs playing fine).

Anyone got any ideas?

There are tons of free converters available. A quick trip to Mr Google with "flac to mp3 converter free" will give loads of choice.

I use Media Human as it's a simple Drag and Drop interface. The saving method you mentioned in your post might not have saved the "tags" and that might have an impact on Sonos. you may have to do some tag editing anyway after the conversion but from memory Media H does the job fine.

Edited by BassBunny

Not sure what's going on with your DAW then, perhaps installing the LAME MP3 encoder might help. Can your DAW encode to 24-bit/48khz FLAC at all? If you save the FLAC direct to WAV, it will probably still be 96khz, hence why the Sonos will still have trouble with it. You DAW should be able to downsample to 48khz though, then I would still recommend FLAC over WAV has it saves a lot of space with no affect on quality. For most, using a DAW for this would be overkill, but if you already have one you may as well try and get it working!

I have a copy of dBPowerAmp that I use for ripping CDs and converting to FLAC, but it's not free. MusicBee is my favourite music player app and that supports ripping and conversion, perhaps give that a shot?

1 hour ago, dannybuoy said:

Not sure what's going on with your DAW then, perhaps installing the LAME MP3 encoder might help. Can your DAW encode to 24-bit/48khz FLAC at all? If you save the FLAC direct to WAV, it will probably still be 96khz, hence why the Sonos will still have trouble with it. You DAW should be able to downsample to 48khz though, then I would still recommend FLAC over WAV has it saves a lot of space with no affect on quality. For most, using a DAW for this would be overkill, but if you already have one you may as well try and get it working!

I have a copy of dBPowerAmp that I use for ripping CDs and converting to FLAC, but it's not free. MusicBee is my favourite music player app and that supports ripping and conversion, perhaps give that a shot?

I have an age-old version of Winamp (go me!) that I use; I'm just comfortable with everything about it.  Amazingly, it seems to play just about everything and I doubt it's had any kind of plug-in update for a decade!  Ripping used to be Audiograbber, but I needed to update tags all the time (MP3Tag), now I use Windows Media Player.  Can't actually remember the last time I actually ripped a CD to be honest.

AUDACITY -

If you haven't already done so, you need to install the "lame" encoder for Audacity. Go here :-

https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/installing_and_updating_audacity_on_windows.html#winlame

Once up & running, Import the FLAC  file   -->   Select "Export as MP3".  When "Save" dialog box appears with "Format Options", select "Insane" or "Extreme" quality.

Other options:-

Ashampoo (ashampo.de  English)   -  Music Studio 2018 - the free version should do it. Alternatively, Music Studio 6 or 7 - short term trial versions.

Edited by Balcro
Even more detail
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...
15 hours ago, Heith said:

7i'm using this tool called [...], it works really good and supports many formats and platforms, may be you want to tyr it

This must be spam. This is an old thread, so I guess the honoured new member did a text search just for spamming us.

Edited by BassTractor

• 1 year later...