Why become a member? ×

Public liability insurance recommendations please.

Painy

My band is booked for a wedding in a couple of months time and the venue requires us to have public liability insurance. This isn't something normally required in the venues that we generally play so we don't have anything in place at the moment. 

We're really just looking for the most basic cover to meet the venue's requirement so ideally a cheaply as possible (while obviously being legitimate). Does anybody have any recommendations they could suggest? 

4 hours ago, Acebassmusic said:

Have a look at AMP Band I used to use them for my band. Reasonable price and helps you with documents for risk assessments etc. Never had to claim so dont know how good they are with that.

Looks like the band is happy to go with these people. 

Thanks! 👍

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

I've just renewed ours with a new one, been with ampband for a few years but insure4music are cheaper. 

Don't think our guitarist has sorted it yet so I've passed a link for these to him as well. 👍

Guest subaudio

Another vote for the Musicians Union. 

It has many benefits. 

Free personal public liability, free gear insurance up to a grand (with a £200 excess) very favourable rates for insurance above that value, free legal advice, free contracts for gigs etc etc. 

Edited by subaudio

1 hour ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

Does the public liability with the MU cover a whole band or would every band member need to join? Unless you need the extra features of tye MU it's a hugely expensive way of doing it for a typical function band.

Well, I've never had to test it but having dealt with public liability claims over the years as part of my job, I would have thought that any claims would probably go against the band as a whole, or the individual that did the act/caused the problem. Usually personal injury claims etc tend to go after the person with the money anyway. 

Oh, and course, it was the [insured band member] who forgot to tape the cables down that they tripped over anyway, wasn't it? Ahem. 

• Like 1

Guest subaudio

There are concession memberships with the Musicians Union that are a lot cheaper, check the website for details. 

You get the protection and representation of a Union plus legal advice so its not directly comparable to purely insurance cost. 

I can't give the full details of who and what are covered and all the benefits, just check them out.

https://www.musiciansunion.org.uk/Join

Edited by subaudio

I don't think many people in your average weekend function band will qualify for a concession so it's nearly TEN times the price if you just need a certificate to satisfy the venue, to do it legitimately a five piece band would all need to be members at a cost of £1105, a five piece band with Insure4music can be had for less than £50, that's quite a difference unless you are going to require a grands worth of advantages a year.