Why become a member? ×

Playing with one finger/Jamerson's "Hook"

My middle finger sounds pretty different to my index finger and it really bugs me. Over the past couple of years I've been transitioning slowing to playing more and more with one finger, a la Jamerson, and my dexterity has come on a bunch but I'm always a little concerned about RSI/carpal tunnel/arm amputation...

Anyone else out there hookin' it up? Or any ex-hookers with tales of disaster? 

Any hints/tips/warns would be much appreciated,

Cheers!

Yeah I play predominantly with one finger, really only using two for speed or if it makes sense for string changes when required. I don't seem to have suffered any ill effects that I'm aware of... 😳

Definitely worth working on your technique though, I've figured out three finger plucking which is used very rarely but sounds great from rapid triplets, especially for reggae 

Edited by StevieE
Poo

IMO using one finger does bring benefits. To me the notes sound more even, as does the tone and I find it's easier to play slower or mid-tempo songs with one finger. I have to switch up to two fingers as soon as I have to play the fast bits, though.

• 1 month later...