Why become a member? ×

How to 'age' a pickguard

Jazzmaster62

4 hours ago, Soledad said:

and btw, that looks rediculous to me. Someone's spent years hardly using the low E or A until the 15th fret and up, which is where they have spent most of the guitar's life. Really??

Keef uses that guitar tuned in open G and plays it without a low e string.

Still doesn't explain the lack of wear under the A or what he's been doing to cause that much damage to the end of the fretboard after the 22nd fret.

Edit:It's also slightly odd that the 'reproduction' has 22 frets. The original has the usual 21.

Edited by Cato
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Thunderpaws said:

Sorry, didn’t mean any offence. Just a genuine question. I get it, as you say you want a look that isn’t available off the shelf any more. 

Aye, careful mate, people get tetchy about "aged" basses. I agree with you, things age because they get old. If its new it looks like it, just let it age gracefully and naturally.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cato said:

Still doesn't explain the lack of wear under the A or what he's been doing to cause that much damage to the end of the fretboard after the 22nd fret.

May well be down to pick wear? In his later years Keith often plays over the neck/body joint with the neck at a more upright position than he used to. As in this performance - JJ Flash, Glastonbury 2013. This would also explain the wear on the body of the Tele above the neck.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Soledad said:

and btw, that looks rediculous to me. Someone's spent years hardly using the low E or A until the 15th fret and up, which is where they have spent most of the guitar's life. Really??

That's the problem with reproduction relics. Folk seldom get the details right. They usually over do it.

1402625.jpg

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Soledad said:

For most of its life it probably didn't even have an e-string fitted.

Keith wouldn't have been bending the low string (I won't call it A as it was probably G) and the high-fret wear might be the result of strumming (as per the top horn).

Sherlock.