Why become a member? ×

Which Harley Benton or leave alone?

Dennis1971

3 hours ago, naxos10 said:

Also so add the Bass Collection brand to your list. These often come up at good second hand prices in the classifieds.

+1 for one of the original SGC Nanyo Bass Collections. These were £500 upward basses back in the day and sell for around £200. Made in Japan with Gotoh hardware and excellent build quality and light as a feather.

There’s never been a better time to buy an instrument on a budget, the build quality of the £150 instruments these days is as good as the £500 instruments from a couple decades ago.

Personally I’d go with a secondhand Yamaha, I don’t think you will get better value than those. I paid not much more than your budget for my BB435 and it holds its own with my custom basses. After a year or so, you’ll probably figure out exactly what you want and then you can upgrade if you wish, and won’t lose any money on resale. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, therealting said:

There’s never been a better time to buy an instrument on a budget, the build quality of the £150 instruments these days is as good as the £500 instruments from a couple decades ago.

Personally I’d go with a secondhand Yamaha, I don’t think you will get better value than those. I paid not much more than your budget for my BB435 and it holds its own with my custom basses. After a year or so, you’ll probably figure out exactly what you want and then you can upgrade if you wish, and won’t lose any money on resale. 

Not for £150, not unless you're in the second hand market. I'd say for buying new, <£150 will always be <£150 but £300 is your new £500 bass, £500 is your new £800 and so on.....

A BB435 for about £150? That's incredibly lucky seeing they go for about double that easily second hand but hell of a good bass anyway. Something that should last you some years. 

40 minutes ago, bigsmokebass said:

Not for £150, not unless you're in the second hand market. I'd say for buying new, <£150 will always be <£150 but £300 is your new £500 bass, £500 is your new £800 and so on.....

A BB435 for about £150? That's incredibly lucky seeing they go for about double that easily second hand but hell of a good bass anyway. Something that should last you some years. 

I meant the budget of £200. Broadly agree on everything else. 

• Like 1

Thomann are really good at taking goods back for credit if on getting the instrument, you decide not to keep it.

I've had a few deko basses. Kept 1 or 2 for a while and returned others. The question on whether to keep the bass really is down to what you want.

I had a Harley Benton HBZ-2005FL NT Deluxe S Deko. They have this one listed as a Deko right now.  It was ok. I was thinking of doing it up. What put me off was the pups being fixed in their height position. There was no way to screw them down lower without routing the body and they weren't on springs to make them higher by loosening the screws. I might have kept it if I'd had more time to play about with it. The neck also wasn't as flat as you really need on a fretless.

My honest view is, hold out for a used bass on the market. Personally, I wouldn't buy anything new on a budget of £200.

19 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Why not head for a decent sized bass shop and see what they have for you to try out?

Will be trying to get to a shop, but not that many around. Closest is PMT in Oxford, not counting the guitar shop in Thame which had 4 basses.... 

On 12/04/2019 at 01:15, DarkHeart said:

If you like a nice slim neck theres also the Ibanez Sr range to consider, I know theyre active but 2nd hand ones are excellent value for money.

Had a quick go on the Ibanez SRMD200, lovely little bass. Its a 32" scale but was a bit of a bargain for £250 new. Might be looking second hand for Ibanez. The neck seemed to suit me fine. 

After having a noodle on an Ibanez I do like the narrow neck so will hold out for something modern styled with a narrowish neck  Will try and stick to my price range of £200 - and a bit if it's the right one :-). 

Will post in the wanted section also but not sure if that gets much attention. I live in the Oxford area if anyone is selling.... OX97AE

Cheers 

9 hours ago, prowla said:

I bought a Westone Thunder for well under £200 last month. 

Which would you prefer - that or any HB?

Horses for courses. Obviously it's all down to personal taste. But I'd take this over a Westone Thunder any day. 

IMG_20190423_082626.png

IMG_20190423_082556.png

That Ibanez was a good buy though.

I do likes me an Ibanez. 

Edited by Newfoundfreedom

• 4 weeks later...

I decided to give the JB75 a try and got it yesterday. Neck was obviously a bit more clubby than the Geddy but I must have got one of the lighter ones. I can't see any joins so I reckon it's a 1 piece body as well.

I weighed it and it came in at 9.8lbs, I then weighed my Geddy with much slimmer neck and Ultralites and guess what? 9.8lbs

Someone mentioned the pickups not being able to be screwed down and I've found that as well but they are low enough not to cause any issue, although they make the bass appear louder than the Geddy because of their height. Worse case scenario I have a set of Fender pickups that I can fit.

I bought it as a backup to the Geddy but I think I am going to gig it this weekend

• Like 1