Mikkel-S

*SOLD*1968 Fender Coronado Bass I *SOLD*
£1700
Denmark

A bit unsure of letting this superb bass go - but it just doesn't get enough attention from me. 

Its a 1968 Fender Coronado Bass I - a rare sight. This bass was apparently made for a trade fair as a show piece - it has the "Special" engraved on the back of the headstock. 

Its well kept for its age and this old lady just plays perfectly. It has gotten new frets a few years ago and also a new bone nut. Other than that - all original. 

The neck is just a joy to touch and play. Very easy to play and capable of low action (which is pretty rare also on these old basses). 

The original pickup has those separate magnets that you can adjust the string volume on which is a cool feature. Controls are as simple as Volume and tone. Currently strung with Daddario Black Nylon Flats but will include a set of Labella medium scale flats for that perfect fit on this bass. 

The bass is healthy, the truss works 100%, tuners are stable and the bridge works as it should. The bridge has lost its "F" inlay - which is normal on these models. Try and google pictures :) 

Bass is 30" scale / short scale. 

I have NO case - but lets discuss a solution for this if you're interested in the bass. Im sure we can work something out! (I have and old Rockbag for the bass which I can include also). 

Price is 1550£ / 1800€ and I am open to trades. A vintage Mustang or a nice 34" scale 4 string could be interesting. (Can add money towards the right trade). 

Bass is located in Denmark. And I am experienced in shipping instruments ;)

j2NG3LV.jpg

HiPV4Fh.jpg

oKGnItO.jpg

GhXyOka.jpg

sywqTNy.jpg

IVLDGVE.jpg

bEUhxug.jpg

46Q9aiR.jpg

t9gI5Uc.jpg

qAuQJJ9.jpg

FlBStVT.jpg

7eArmAw.jpg

Edited by Mikkel-S
Sold!
  • Like 3

cool bass... 

On 11/04/2019 at 10:06, Mikkel-S said:

And I am experienced in shipping instruments ;)

Yes. I can vouch for Mikkel. The bass he sold me was packed so thoroughly it could be considered bulletproof!

• Like 1

Very cool looking vintage instrument :)
How does it compare to the modern take on this bass?
It looks in great condition for a 1968 bass :o

2 hours ago, Marc S said:

Very cool looking vintage instrument :)
How does it compare to the modern take on this bass?
It looks in great condition for a 1968 bass :o

Hey Marc, 

I haven't tried the new version on this - also, only have seen it with the 2 pickup configuration. 

Honestly its one of the best hollow body basses I have owned.. (and I have owned vintage Rivoli, EB-2's, Hofners etc).. 

Sounds amazing really and plays just perfect. 

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Captain Bassman
      Hi all,
      For sale only (no trades), my beautiful 1966 Fender Precision in fantastic condition, all original (as far as I am aware) with original finish and original Fender hard case (including Fender catalogue).
      This is a player’s bass, not a case queen, but has been extremely well cared for by previous owners as well as by me.
       It has light signs of wear and some dings as you’d expect a 54 year old to have. I’ve gigged the bass extensively in the time I’ve owned it and always kept/transported it in a Hiscox LiteFlite case, not the OHSC.
      Apart from some minor body chips and scratches there are a couple of small dents in the neck behind frets 1-3 but these aren’t noticeable under the hand. There’s also some lovely light checking to the lacquer on the headstock and rear of the body. I’ve tried to capture these as best I can with my phone camera.
      Pups, pots, wiring and solder joints all look all original. The pups are still bonded to the black foam and backing plate. No dating is evident and I didn’t want to risk separating them to try and find out.
      Pots are stamped 6618 which I believe is week 18 of 1966 (kindly correct me if I’m wrong).
      The date stamp on the neck is partially faded and obscured by red ink but this is how it was when I bought it. To my eyes it reads 5 MAY 66 C. The neck is classic P chunky, solid and straight with a fully functioning truss rod and reverse tuners on the headstock.
      Beautiful striping on the rosewood fingerboard and there’s plenty of life left in the slim frets. The bass is currently strung with LaBella flats.
      Comfortably light, on the digital bathroom scales it comes in at 8.6 lbs / 3.9 kg.
      The case has a few dings and a couple of smallish rips but inside is clean and plush and all catches and hinges function (I don’t have the keys though). It came to me with a 1967-68 Fender catalogue inside which is in lovely condition and a really nice piece of history.
      This is a beautiful example of a mid-60’s P bass with a classic full burpy sound that sits so well in the band mix.
      Now... I know there are some real vintage aficionados and experts on the forum so in the spirit of openness and honesty I want to mention 3 things;
      Control knobs. These are more than likely the originals but still look brand new. I have no way of knowing as these were the knobs it came to me with but I am just saying as someone pointed it out to me.
      Ashtrays. Both are in really good clean condition and I believe are the originals. They show light scratching close up which doesn’t come out in the photos. Inside the bridge cover there is no evidence left of any foam mutes but there is some surface roughness in that area.
      E string tuner. Fully operational and stable but a bit stiffer than the other 3. I’ve had it apart and lubricated it, can’t see anything wrong, so it’s a bit better but wanted to point this out to potential buyers. 
      I’m offering this bass for sale only (no trades thank you) at a competitive price based on what I’ve seen similar condition basses advertised by reputable dealers.
      I’m happy to ship within UK only at the buyer’s expense or arrange personal socially-distanced collection within a reasonable radius (location KT18).
      No EU/overseas transactions due to CITES restrictions still in force around Brazilian rosewood.
      (More photos are available if needed).
      Many thanks for any interest!
      David

• By will4bass
      Great Fender Jazzbass 1973 with OHSC. Apart from the bridge pickup being replaced with a period correct ‘75 grey bottom at some timw it is 100% original. Very comfortable player,  less than 9 lbs/4 kgs on my kitchenscale, good balance,
      slim neck and low action. Nice growly fat Jazzbass sound. These early 70's Fenders have something different going on. And oh yes, the bass has
      some love signs but all works fine, including the trussrod.

• By paulmcnamara
      Fender Marine Layer Reverb,  Reduced to £79, that's £20 off a new one!
      Bought from Andertons 4 weeks ago. Absolutely brand new, used twice in lockdown, now surplus as I have acquired a Plethora X5.
      A brilliant pedal particularly for fretless playing with its variation and control. Has a very clever instant battery change door that flips down!
      Blurb:
      3 Reverb types - hall, room, special Each reverb type has 2 variations for maximum versatility Control over reverb time, damping, pre-delay and level Effect tails continue when pedal is bypassed for a smooth performance Lets you achieve all manner of reverbs, from slap-back, subtle room ambience, through to huge atmospheric halls and 'shimmer'. So, save on a new one. Insured post £7. (Also advertised on the bay)

• By big rob
      Amazing bass that really does feel like a vintage bass.
      The flea bass comes with stacked pots which in my opinion are much better than the VVT controls fitted to most fender jazz basses.
      Comes with  fender gig bag.
      Social distancing collection possible, postage as buyers cost.
      Specification:
      Body
      Model Name: Flea Jazz Bass, Rosewood Fingerboard, Roadworn Shell Pink Model Code: 0141020356 Series: Artist Body Material: Alder Body Finish: Road Worn® Nitrocellulose Lacquer Colour:Shell Pink Neck and Fingerboard
      Neck Material: Maple Neck Profile: "C" Shape Neck Finish:Road Worn® Nitrocellulose Lacquer Fingerboard Material: Rosewood Fingerboard Radius: 7.25" (184.1 mm) No. of Frets: 20 Fret Size: Vintage Style Inlays: Aged White Dots Scale Length: 34" (864 mm) Hardware and Electronics
      Nut Material: Synthetic Bone Nut Width: 1.5" (38.1 mm) Tuning Machines: Fender® Vintage-Style Bridge: 4-Saddle Vintage-Style Pickguard: 4-Ply Tortoiseshell Bridge Pickup: Pure Vintage ’64 Single-Coil Jazz Bass Neck Pickup: Pure Vintage ’64 Single-Coil Jazz Bass Switching: None Controls: Stacked Concentric Controls Volume 1. (Neck Pickup), Tone 1. (Neck Pickup), Volume 2. (Bridge Pickup), Tone 2. (Bridge Pickup) Control Knobs: Knurled Chrome/Black Concentric Hardware Colour: Nickel/Chrome