Why become a member? ×

John Deacon’s “Live Aid” Fender Precision (A Gear Abstinence Failure)

2 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Or look down this thread... This guy claimed to own it in 2011 - you could make an offer for the actual shirt!

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/what-band-clothing-do-you-own.250707/

Interesting. A nice couple of photos would do the trick. Thanks for that.

3 hours ago, ezbass said:

This one from Next isn't too bad https://www.next.co.uk/style/st426157#421238

image.png.43d993aed77b8c961352332158a8844b.png

Had a traumatic hour in next yesterday with Mrs.H doing some clothes shopping for our imminent holiday. The majority of the shirts on display are slim fit, which I ain’t. Went to River Island instead 🤪

4 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Or look down this thread... This guy claimed to own it in 2011 - you could make an offer for the actual shirt!

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/what-band-clothing-do-you-own.250707/

I signed up to the forum and messaged the guy. Nothing ventured and all that.

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...

So, gig day for this little venture is now just 4 weeks away and we started rehearsals about two weeks ago.

Unknown to me at the time, the keys player shot a cheeky video of our first run through of Hammer To Fall on his phone which was propped up against the side of the PA.

The performance was far from perfect, but it gives a good idea of what a thunderous beast the 'Deacy P' bass is. I absolutely love it.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, bassfan said:

Will you be videoing the gig?? 

This was brought up the other day and it all revolves around cost. If we can encourage someone to do it for free, then yes. 

What will probably happen is a static camera will be set up next to the desk at the rear and we’ll use that. 

In fact, I’ll take my camera, so at least we’ll have something.

• Like 1

On 11/07/2019 at 19:00, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Had a traumatic hour in next yesterday with Mrs.H doing some clothes shopping for our imminent holiday. The majority of the shirts on display are slim fit, which I ain’t. Went to River Island instead 🤪

so you're custom making a bass for this gig, but not getting down to weight for it to?! :P

58 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Just the wigs left to sort out... 🙂

I do have a wig courtesy of @martthebass, but it appears not everyone is ‘fully committed’ to the wig concept as I first was.

I have been in contact with the owner of the pink shirt JD wore on the day who sent me some detailed images of it’s design. I researched getting the shirt recreated, but it wasn’t half as easy as I thought it was going to be, so have had to set that aside.

I’m aware that the bass itself is an extravagance given the nature of the gig, but I’m so glad I had it made as it’s an absolute belter plus I finally have a P bass that I actually like.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I’m aware that the bass itself is an extravagance given the nature of the gig, but I’m so glad I had it made as it’s an absolute belter plus I finally have a P bass that I actually like.

Did the guitarist have that Red Special already or has he also taken advantage of the situation to treat himself to a new guitar?

Is there a suspiciously new AC30 somewhere out of shot?

Edited by Cato
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Cato said:

Did the guitarist have that Red Special already or has he also taken advantage of the situation to treat himself to a new guitar?

Is there a suspiciously new AC30 somewhere out of shot?

He did buy it especially for this. He also bought a Mini May as well. 

No AC30. He’s all sorted on the amp front 😀

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

So, The Last Resort gig happened last night and we had a blast. The Deacon P sounded fab - not just my opinion, the sound guys thought so too 😀.

I'm not quite sure how many thousands we raised. I think they're still counting. Hard to choose a favourite from the 6 songs we played, but this one does have a certain grin factor to it.

Edited by hiram.k.hackenbacker
  • Like 11

6 hours ago, chris_b said:

I'd play your normal bass and donate the price of this bass to charity.

Great idea Chris. About six months too late, but a great idea.

I’ll tell you what, ignoring for one moment all the time, effort, cost of fuel, rescheduling of other band and family commitments etc etc that I’ve personally put in for this event (which is the thirteenth by the way), I will match any donation you care to make. Let’s set the cap at the price of the Deacon P bass I had built. Let’s call it a round £1000 shall we? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2