Why become a member? ×

John Deacon’s “Live Aid” Fender Precision (A Gear Abstinence Failure)

I find a lot of the album versions for things like champions dont really work well bass wise and theres so much going on. Simplifying makes it sounds so much better and tighter.

Hammer to Fall - this threw me for weeks - because theres loads of different versions. Some have the guitar solo in slightly different places, some have longer intros, different endings! Same with I Want It All.

Rhapsody - the main key to it is to listen to the run downs "Now I've gone and thrown....." 6 notes spread over time, and you need that bit to be right or at very least start and end it right. It still confuses me now from time to time when playing live. If your vocalist or drummer can put emphasis on the correct places that will help you loads. It's in essence following the keys, but depends how well you can hear your keys player during the gig.

GaGa - theres a twist in there where the climb usually goes E,F#,A, on the climb leading upto the chorus the F# changes. I usually play E,G,A.

Enjoy it for what it is. A fantastic 20 minute set.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Oopsdabassist said:

Maybe its the adjustable end and he wore it really short so the the adjuster is over his shoulder out of sight??

I have done the same with these straps. The proper way round means the buckle is at the front so I always attached it the other way round because the buckle (and double thickness) was at the back. That made the bass far more comfortable to wear and helps keeps the bass balanced.

Basses 016.jpg

Edited by Steve Browning
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, la bam said:

I find a lot of the album versions for things like champions dont really work well bass wise and theres so much going on. Simplifying makes it sounds so much better and tighter.

Hammer to Fall - this threw me for weeks - because theres loads of different versions. Some have the guitar solo in slightly different places, some have longer intros, different endings! Same with I Want It All.

Rhapsody - the main key to it is to listen to the run downs "Now I've gone and thrown....." 6 notes spread over time, and you need that bit to be right or at very least start and end it right. It still confuses me now from time to time when playing live. If your vocalist or drummer can put emphasis on the correct places that will help you loads. It's in essence following the keys, but depends how well you can hear your keys player during the gig.

GaGa - theres a twist in there where the climb usually goes E,F#,A, on the climb leading upto the chorus the F# changes. I usually play E,G,A.

Enjoy it for what it is. A fantastic 20 minute set.

Champions is a good example. On the recorded version there are lots of notes that he plays up an octave, but live, JD goes for the low end power which I think is absolutely the right thing to do. We mainly use live versions in my Bowie tribute. You can’t beat learning from a touring band that’s found out how songs really work in a live environment.

We’re definitely gonna have to stick rigidly to the Live Aid version of Hammer To Fall for the reason you state. It could get very confusing otherwise.

Rhapsody will be fine. The guys I’ll be playing with are spot on. Won’t struggle hearing anything as I’ll be using IEM’s and if it’s the same as last time, I’ll be able to adjust my mix from the stage.

Yes, it’s a shame about Ga Ga as it chops a bit out that gives it a bit of relief from the main riff, but it will be fine.

9 hours ago, Steve Browning said:

I have done the same with these straps. The proper way round means the buckle is at the front so I always attached it the other way round because the buckle (and double thickness) was at the back. That made the bass far more comfortable to wear and helps keeps the bass balanced.

Curious!

I have two of that style strap and they both have 'Fender' so that they are the right way up if the buckle is at the back. My other fender strap has the logo running along the length.

Perhaps the straps are randomly oriented?

My other two 'orientable' straps are the same (though the Ace Peace and Dove has to be used upside down to match Neil Young's 🙂 )

• 2 months later...

True to his word, Mark from Limelight has delivered almost exactly to his earliest estimate of 12-16 weeks from order.

I couldn’t be happier with it. It is exactly what I was after. It does have a J neck on it, but other than that it’s ALL Precision. 

I could have sworn I had a spare set of Schaller’s knocking around somewhere, but it appears not. I’ll order them at the same time as the blue Dunlop picks I was going to get. 

3E11DD09-4100-43A5-B187-EBAD68CFCFB9.jpeg

397A1053-A7D4-48A8-884B-202ABB072005.jpeg

7A103E72-B99B-4C37-8A8B-C980C09FC0FA.jpeg

0A113EEE-8F14-4DEB-A03B-3012094F04EB.jpeg

• Like 10

43 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

True to his word, Mark from Limelight has delivered almost exactly to his earliest estimate of 12-16 weeks from order.

I couldn’t be happier with it. It is exactly what I was after. It does have a J neck on it, but other than that it’s ALL Precision. 

I could have sworn I had a spare set of Schaller’s knocking around somewhere, but it appears not. I’ll order them at the same time as the blue Dunlop picks I was going to get. 

3E11DD09-4100-43A5-B187-EBAD68CFCFB9.jpeg

397A1053-A7D4-48A8-884B-202ABB072005.jpeg

7A103E72-B99B-4C37-8A8B-C980C09FC0FA.jpeg

0A113EEE-8F14-4DEB-A03B-3012094F04EB.jpeg

A peach!!!

• Like 1

So, the blue picks have arrived. They’re not as light in colour as I thought they were going to be, but if I’m going to use one, I prefer Dunlop Tortex, so I’m happy to compromise 😜

New Schaller S-Locks (Nickel) installed. Now, they’re rather swish and well thought out in their design update. I don’t know how long they’ve been around, but they seem to address a lot of the issues of all the other ones I possess. Not that I’ve generally had many issues with them anyway, but I’ve heard others have.

So, I’m rather jolly happy with the way this has all turned out. I’ve sent an e-mail to Mark thanking him for all his hard work in getting it just so. It really is a joy to play. Thank you again if you are reading this Mark.

Now on to the REALLY tricky part - finding something anywhere near close to that shirt John Deacon wore. I e-mailed the costume designer for the Bohemian Rhapsody film, but so far no joy.

F6A3E4AC-6C3E-4979-A8C4-52C30A3AE944.jpeg

9DA82101-9285-4622-AB74-FD505528FBE6.jpeg

3184D13B-7B8C-4A76-AC8D-D000B960914F.jpeg

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Now on to the REALLY tricky part - finding something anywhere near close to that shirt John Deacon wore. I e-mailed the costume designer for the Bohemian Rhapsody film, but so far no joy.

Perhaps buy a white shirt and get those felt pens kids use on clothes? DIY style. 

• Like 1