Why become a member? ×

Reducing hiss from the cab sim on Darkglass Ultra pedals

dannybuoy

I knew of this problem and it had been turning me off of getting one from this range, so nice to know there is a workaround and thought it worth sharing (post originally from Talkbass):

Hi guys!

Thank you for the tag and questions!

The main reason for the hiss in some demos/cases is the problematically wide dynamic range the pedal has to function within.

To optimize signal to noise ratio, the best practice is to have a signal that’s slightly below the codec’s headroom limit.

Signal levels in basses can vary a lot, so we must set things at levels that might be suboptimal noise-wise on quieter basses in order to avoid saturation on hotter ones.

Good news is that this is something that can be very easily improved using the free Darkglass Suite (Suite – Darkglass Electronics😞

Simply connect the pedal to your computer, turn up the Cab Sim Level on the Suite, which might require slightly adjusting the pedal’s Master or Level control, and that’s it. 

For recording scenarios, which is when optimal SNR is key, you can turn it up as high as you want as long as you don’t get a nasty saturation.

This way you can have the pedal’s signal level optionally set for your particular instrument.

Any questions don’t hesitate to let me know.

Doug.