Why become a member? ×

New BFR Stingray 4H Special and Stingray 5HH

drTStingray

I'm not keen on the Five.

I'm sure plenty of people will love it but that fancy wood top and even the figured roasted neck (I normally like the look of roasted maple) is just too much 'bling' for me.

Edited by Cato

The SR5HH doesn't have a pickguard at all - why would you include one and cover up at least half of the AAAAA quilt top?!! I think it looks great - very reminiscent of the SR5 20 th Anniversary - quite a revered one!! 👍

I also like the figured necks - wish my Stingray Specials had them!   Not so sure about block inlays - neck binding is nice though. 

I think the SR5 is droolworthy but I think I'd be a worried about drum metalwork chips and the like to take it out and play it in public 😕

1 hour ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

They should have called it a Silhouette bass really as it looks just like the silhouette guitar. 

My SR5HH Special gets the most play time of all my basses. It's a fabulous bass and totally Stingray. Like you I didn't originally like the SR5 pg but I now prefer it on a 5 to the oval one. The pg is designed to cover the rout for the 3 or 5 way switch. It's currently wearing black!! 

image.thumb.jpeg.adc78836cf8ef2ae701e022f5dd659ce.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.a548803a18d7bb831a3ee0afaa98e1f5.jpeg

While my dalliances with the MusicMan company is limited to a Bongo 5HH, the Stingray is probably the only bass which would fall into the mainstream category that I've never owned; I see these family reserve and specials come up periodically and my heart does this little flutter when I see these black 4H/4HH models with their toasted/roasted necks, but I never feel the desire to own one.  I really can't quantify why this is the case. 

Perhaps I'm just content with what I have for the first time ever.