Why become a member? ×

Best Bass Under 100 pounds/dollars - Glarry J Bass review

HughRichardson

Its interesting. Where would you buy one from.

Are the pickups the same width as Fender pups? Important for upgrading.

The neck looks wider than a Fender jazz. Is it?

Are the frets even height?

Are the fret ends sharp?

How does the weight compare to other basses?

What was the cause/cure to the earthing issue?

Thanks for posting.

• Like 1

On 09/04/2019 at 20:31, Grangur said:

Its interesting. Where would you buy one from.

Are the pickups the same width as Fender pups? Important for upgrading.

The neck looks wider than a Fender jazz. Is it?

Are the frets even height?

Are the fret ends sharp?

How does the weight compare to other basses?

What was the cause/cure to the earthing issue?

Thanks for posting.

It's an interesting find for sure. I was actually sent this by Glarry (the maker) but you can buy them from the Glarry website. I've linked in the video description but you can also find them through a quick Google search.

I've not had a chance to measure out exact specs of the pick ups but they look close if not exactly the same to me. If you're good with tools you could always expand if you need to.

The neck is definitely wider than a fender jazz. Certainly a lot wider than my Sadowsky Jazz and Fender P bass. The thick finger board contributes to that!

Frets are even height and not too sharp. The edge of the neck feels a little sharp but again you can sand these down or have a repair person do that for you.

Weight wise it does feel quite light but the weight distribution is more of an issue for me. As I mentioned in the video it's neck heavy.

Haven't had a chance to pull the electronics apart yet so not sure what was causing the earthing issue.

Hope this helps!

Hugh

2 hours ago, bigsmokebass said:

Think I'd rather save up and get something a little better. It doesn't sound very cheap/budget 

Totally get you. As I mention in the video, this isn't a bass for everyone but rather a specific group like beginners or modifiers.

If you want a sturdy more pro bass then this isn't the option for you.

6 minutes ago, HughRichardson said:

Totally get you. As I mention in the video, this isn't a bass for everyone but rather a specific group like beginners or modifiers.

If you want a sturdy more pro bass then this isn't the option for you.

Ah, didn't realise it was actually you 😂 I think for a lot t of members on here, they already own great basses that excel past this bass, nothing of a snobby pov, just seems to be a given to 99% of the community. 

We have spoke over this before though 😅Screenshot_20190412-003414_Instagram.thumb.jpg.87bff888c460c656f8062e6c3bdcd41a.jpg

My mind hasn't changed and still a good shout for inspiring the next gen of musicians and bassists ✌🏻

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, bigsmokebass said:

Ah, didn't realise it was actually you 😂 I think for a lot t of members on here, they already own great basses that excel past this bass, nothing of a snobby pov, just seems to be a given to 99% of the community. 

We have spoke over this before though 😅Screenshot_20190412-003414_Instagram.thumb.jpg.87bff888c460c656f8062e6c3bdcd41a.jpg

My mind hasn't changed and still a good shout for inspiring the next gen of musicians and bassists ✌🏻

Haha nice man! Good to connect on here. 

You’re totally right though. It’s not snobby, you’re just acknowledging where you are and what you think. 

Cheers for for checking out the video!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HughRichardson said:

Haha nice man! Good to connect on here. 

You’re totally right though. It’s not snobby, you’re just acknowledging where you are and what you think. 

Cheers for for checking out the video!

Always good checking out the Vids. So is this your own model or something hired for the video? 

Would it be something you'd practice at home/with the band, with? 

Take to gigs? 

Record with? 

I'd be interested on your thoughts 

On 12/04/2019 at 10:44, bigsmokebass said:

Always good checking out the Vids. So is this your own model or something hired for the video? 

Would it be something you'd practice at home/with the band, with? 

Take to gigs? 

Record with? 

I'd be interested on your thoughts 

Yeah they sent me this one to keep but it's a standard model they make. I wasn't involved in the design or anything.

In terms of use I'd want to modify it a little before I use it to try and address some of the balance issues it has but I think it's useable for sure.

Funnily enough a pickup maker from the states got in touch and has sent me some of his pickups to put in so I'm going to do an upgrade video with this bass so I can compare before and after.

If I end up with a bass that sounds great and all in only cost me about $300/400 then I'd be very happy.

I'm really interested to see how it turns out!

• Like 1

• 7 months later...