Why become a member? ×

Neck Storage

donslow

Long story short, I'm changing out the neck of my USA precision bass for a jazz profile neck, 

if the jazz profile neck works out enough then the precision neck will be stored until a time that i either

a) sell the guitar, i can put it back to original spec and it wont be questioned as to its origin/date

b) sell the neck because I've had a GAS attack

either way, i expect it'll  be long rather than short term storage, whats the best way to store a neck to prevent any unwanted damage?!

I brought a Lakland neck off here a good few years ago. It was to put on a Squier CVP. Its been on and off that and my CV Jazz over the years, but for the past 5 years just sitting in an alcove in my bedroom. 

A few days ago i put it on my Fender to see how it felt, and other than a few truss rod tweaks its playing just as well as it did when I first got it. I was quite surprised as it’s very thin neck. I thought it might be twisted or warped but its fine. 

So i d say just keep it in the house somewhere fairly dry and warm and it will be fine. 

I suspected just somewhere warm and dry (in a case under the bed) although never thought of bubble wrapping.....

is loosening the truss rod an ideal thing to do or  should it be fine without?! Its not something I've ever done so is it just a case of turning it anti clockwise until the nut feels loose?

Aren't these type of things always stored 'under the bed'? 

I removed the neck on my Telebass for around 3 months whilst the body was refurbed, and just slackenedd the truss rod as in the posts above and wrapped it in bubble too. As I sleep on a divan I could not put it under the bed however....