Why become a member? ×

I'm playing a show with Sting

borntohang

On 09/04/2019 at 17:18, borntohang said:

I'm already planning to do a bit of a blog about it on here but the scriptwriters are really phoning it in this year and our schedule has become totally divorced from reality, so as stupid as it sounds this will actually be the most intimate show we're doing that week. Tuesday we're at Anfield, Wednesday we'll be driving to Belgium to open the main stage at Rock Werchter on Thursday afternoon, after which the van will head back to the UK while we fly out to Switzerland for this show, then hop back on another plane and hopefully get back just in time to play Wembley Saturday and Sunday nights. Then we're back off into Europe again for another two weeks. 

All starts to sound a bit daft when you type it all out like that doesn't it... 

Not daft, awesome, well done you! Hope you enjoy every minute of it. And please do share with pics where appropriate. 

On 10/04/2019 at 15:55, borntohang said:

It's just the one night we're doing with Sting and the rest are with Pink on her UK/EU tour, but yes it's a fantastic run. Going to be out for a full month but I think I'll just about cope.

Sounds great, with the added bonus of meeting Eva Gardner (if she’s still playing bass for Pink). 

4 hours ago, bazzbass said:

so happy for you mate, have a blast, and DON'T touch the brown acid, but it's your trip, man

Thanks! We're actually on a strict no-drinks-no-drugs-no-fun rule for at least the first few weeks until we get into the rhythm of it. It's not a tour you can afford to mess up on so while we're a bit old and married for the party routine these days, we also don't want to go off on a bender through lack of excitement and end up screwing the proverbial goose. 

37 minutes ago, borntohang said:

Thanks! We're actually on a strict no-drinks-no-drugs-no-fun rule for at least the first few weeks until we get into the rhythm of it. It's not a tour you can afford to mess up on so while we're a bit old and married for the party routine these days, we also don't want to go off on a bender through lack of excitement and end up screwing the proverbial goose. 

Screwing a goose would probably land you in more trouble. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, TrevorR said:

I’m still trying to get my head around this statement...

I wouldn't be amazed if he wasn't that well known to anyone under 30 these days.

I'm in my forties and  when I was a kid Sting had left the Police and was doing his solo thing which  was generally lumped in with the likes of Phil Collins and and Simply Red as being a bit naff in an AOR sort of way.

That's not an opinion I shared, but I was definitely in the minority.

There's probably at least a generation of young adults by now who's parents never listened to Sting or the Police and so have never really had their work brought to their attention.

Edited by Cato
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, TrevorR said:

I’m still trying to get my head around this statement...

15 hours ago, Cato said:

I wouldn't be amazed if he wasn't that well known to anyone under 30 these days.

Irregardless of Sting's continued popularity or lack thereof with the youth (and my personal feelings on his relative naffness...) it was just a 'nobody cares about bass players' joke. 🙂 

I was originally playing bass on the tour until it was decided I was more useful on keyboards and guitars, so as I've mentioned it briefly in past threads this felt the more appropriate place to post.

I'm not sure if we'll catch his set as we have an extremely tight schedule but although I'm not much of a fan would love to see him play in such a beautiful venue.

• Like 1