Why become a member? ×

I'm playing a show with Sting

borntohang

Sadly no Shaggy on this date. I'm actually playing guitar and organ for this show, but when I asked the guitarists nobody knew who Sting was and then the keyboardists just started talking to me about modular euroracks and other nonsense so I thought I'd tell you fellas instead.

Anyway, get your important bass-playing questions in now and I'll get you the lowdown on all those crucial details: Do tortoise pickguards really sound better? What HPF do you use to make your rig cut through in the back room of the Dog and Duck? Where did your accent go? How do you stop having tantric sex??

pW6hPb6.jpg

Edited by borntohang
  • Like 9
  • Haha 5

Did I mention - I slept in the same bed as Sting 😁

Montserrat Springs Hotel, I checked in as he was checking out, same room! In the good old days.

Edited by KiOgon
Smelling p155take
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, KiOgon said:

Did I mention - I slept in the same bed as Stig 😁

Montserrat Springs Hotel, I checked in as he was checking out, same room! In the good old days.

We stayed in the studio at Parr Street the week after Coldplay were in there tracking X&Y. They wouldn't tell us which room Chris and Gwyneth stayed in cause they knew we would make it weird. We managed to make it weird anyway but I appreciated the effort at discretion.

• Haha 2

Sting is a legend.  Some of his best catchiest basslines are really simple, eg walking on the moon, so a question I'd like to ask is:

1. Does he compose a bassline or does he just feel it?
  2. How much instruction does Sting give to Vinnie Colaiuta or does he let Vinnie work out his own drum parts (e.g. Seven Days on Ten Sumners Tales) ?
  3. Stings' thumb technique seemed to arrive later on in his career (as far as I can tell), what precipitated the change?

Please mention that his tour with Paul Simon was hugely enjoyable.

Regards

Fanboi Davo

2 hours ago, Grangur said:

We want vids! Pictures!  

Great stuff. Looking forward to the follow on. 

Enjoy the gig!

I'm already planning to do a bit of a blog about it on here but the scriptwriters are really phoning it in this year and our schedule has become totally divorced from reality, so as stupid as it sounds this will actually be the most intimate show we're doing that week. Tuesday we're at Anfield, Wednesday we'll be driving to Belgium to open the main stage at Rock Werchter on Thursday afternoon, after which the van will head back to the UK while we fly out to Switzerland for this show, then hop back on another plane and hopefully get back just in time to play Wembley Saturday and Sunday nights. Then we're back off into Europe again for another two weeks. 

All starts to sound a bit daft when you type it all out like that doesn't it... 

• Like 3

When Sting performs with Shaggy do they just stick to material from the album they did together or do songs like 'Don't stand so Close to Me' and 'Fields of Gold' get a dance hall rap section added?

Does Sting get a verse on 'Mr Boombastic'?

Edited by Cato
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

I'm amazed at the support act... I played with them once in a tiny village hall in Shropshire, and the drummer from one of my bands was their manager!

Quite poss, although I wasn't playing with them back then and it's been a busy year! Who was the drummer?

23 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Can't remember his name, but it's the guy in the cowboy hat...

Does that mean you're with Bang Bang Romeo? Pic of me and Stasi below at the same gig.

Yes, for a given value of with. I'm not in the band but I've been working with them for about a year as a spare end playing either bass or guitar and keys depending on how big a show we're doing.

Manager would have been before my time I'm afraid, but I'll pass the photos on. Ross looks much the same - I'd swear he hasn't aged since we were teenagers! He's still using that telecaster too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jus Lukin said:

Ah, a support gig! I assumed you were in Stings band. Still, a great run of shows to be on. Have a good time out there!

It's just the one night we're doing with Sting and the rest are with Pink on her UK/EU tour, but yes it's a fantastic run. Going to be out for a full month but I think I'll just about cope.

• Like 2