Why become a member? ×

Splitting signal off into two paths, (live)

I’m working with a three piece punk/new wave/post-punk band and I am using my Fishman Fission Powerchord  that fills out the sound nicely for the band, it works shockingly well once you learn how to play it. I also use small amounts of bass fx with them, nothing major (the usual) but at present my bass goes into the Fission and uses the pedal to split off to the bass amp (mixed low wet/dry signal)  and the “guitar” amp (fx-only signal), but not really ideal, also the bass amp hums when both amps are connected via different outputs.

I would like to split the bass signal on the pedalboard and  then run two paralllel signals - one to fishman fission, one to bass fx ideally some foot volume control so I can kick In and out either signal what is the best way to do this? 

EDIT: to further complexify things: I have a Chapman Stick SB8 (can be a stereo signal) and an NS Design EUB in the wings and perhaps it’s time coherently pull them all together? Small notepad style mixing desk overkill?

Edited by PunkPonyPrincess

Hum wise I am considering a line isolation box or two to deal with the hum (and are good things to have anyway)

https://www.palmer-germany.com/en/products/line-isolators/5180/pli-01?c=2123

...but I want to get it all sorted I’m my head before I leap so I don’t buy anything I don’t need and it does not really deal with splitting signals and volume or kick in/out.

I'm not sure if I'm getting the wrong end of the stick, but would an A/B/Y pedal do what you're looking for?

Apologies if I've got it wrong.

*Also, Palmer pedals are very,very well made! :)

Edited by Teebs

I see. Anything that does this that acts as a straight though signal splitter  for bass and adds a on off switch plus  a volume pedal on the “guitar” signal side? Ideally I want as many functions in one box as possible.

2 hours ago, PunkPonyPrincess said:

I would like to split the bass signal on the pedalboard and  then run two paralllel signals - one to fishman fission, one to bass fx ideally some foot volume control so I can kick In and out either signal what is the best way to do this? 

EDIT: to further complexify things: I have a Chapman Stick SB8 (can be a stereo signal) and an NS Design EUB in the wings 

For four-in, two-out, foot-switchable routing - perhaps a Boss ES-5 or MS-3? 

Also you could contact http://www.brightonion.co.uk/ for his best (custom-made) suggestion.  

Edited by jrixn1

You're basically creating an earth loop which is causing the hum.  The old method was to disconnect the earth from one of the amps.  The amp is still earthed through the input cable.  This is however frowned upon in the 21st century.  What you need is something like this, Behringer MICROHD Hum Destroyer HD400.  That will do the job.

https://www.gear4music.com/Recording-and-Computers/Behringer-MICROHD-HD400-Hum-Destroyer/6RR

58 minutes ago, jrixn1 said:

For four-in, two-out, foot-switchable routing - perhaps a Boss ES-5 or MS-3? 

Also you could contact http://www.brightonion.co.uk/ for his best (custom-made) suggestion.  

+1 to the brightonion.co.uk suggestion.

i mailed them a with a query and they responded within 24 hours. Really helpful chaps.

• Like 1

If you want to eliminate the hum that comes from ground loops, you need a switcher that has one of the outputs electrically isolated from the other. So not a cheap ABY or LS-2.

I have a Radial Twin City only used once and surplus to requirements I've been meaning to list should you decide to get one!

If you have an old octave pedal knocking about these usually have an FX out and a dry out so you could set the FX to zero and get a split signal, normally they allow a dry/FX vol control out to so you can play with the balance too.

I had (up til joining Basschat) one bass* and no pedals, I was for decades that slightly odd thing, a bassist without a single pedal, learning to play without even comp... it’s kinda cool, but ultimately limiting and why I know nothing about pedals. Will call the onion folk and get something specced to my needs. If they recommend an external ground loop Isolator i’ll go with a Palmer unit and a volume pedal inline. Thanks.

*Current count is four basses, Inc two fretless and a Chapman stick, plus midi bass pedals set up for Taurus *and* Mellotron.... and I’m supposed to be a punk!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1