Why become a member? ×

NBD Gretsch G5440B

dub_junkie

Got this rather fetching Gretsch long scale today in a trade. Lovely thing it is too and I've been playing it pretty much since I got it!

btw I don't think I've ever seen this before on a bass but it has a master volume as well as individual volumes for each pickup.

2jbwdmo.jpg

6i6049.jpg

34hdzio.jpg

2v17yhi.jpg

• Like 5

On 09/04/2019 at 11:36, Grahambythesea said:

I seem to recall the master and individual volumes is standard on all Gretchen guitars and pretty certain I’ve seen it before on the bass you have. Any it’s a great looking axe which I suspect sounds awesome too and a bit different to the norm Js and Ps. 

Thing is I was after a Precision and was going to put flats on it. Then this came up. Think l will put flats on this for a none more old school vibe

On 09/04/2019 at 19:36, howdenspur said:

Used to have one of these - very lovely! In addition to all those volume knobs, you've got the pickup selector too of course.

Ye the switch too. Seems quirky and a bit over the top but maybe that's how I see Gretsch as a brand anyway.  Saying that I liked the selector switch on the G&L L2K and Asat basses I owned in the past

16 hours ago, stewblack said:

Congratulations! What an absolute stunner. Is it comfortable to play? 

Thought it would neck dive but can't say I feel I'm ever holding the neck up. It's ok on the forearm too. I have a deep bowl Ovation Elite bass which also has a square edge where my forearm rests and being pushed out a bit further can get uncomfortable after extended playing time. No real complaints with the ergonomics of the Gretsch though and even if there was I'd forgive it  on account how drop dead gorgeous it looks. 

• Like 1

Now been set up by myself to my liking and given a good clean up.Sounds,looks and plays fab. Strings on it are well used and dull but I don't feel any need to change them until I put some flatwound strings on it. 

As always hoping it's a keeper and that I don't have my head turned by something else on here/gumtree etc🤞

inuzww.jpg