Why become a member? ×

pickups output increasing significantly when adding vibrato

Elfrasho

I have a yamaha bb1000 which is an old p bass type thing. Can't say I've noticed this up until the past few weeks, and I can't remember ever experiencing it on any other basses I've ever owned so I thought I'd put it out there to see if this is just how p basses are, or if theres something up with my bass.

As the title suggest, when i bend the strings, or even a slight vibrato, I notice the signal seems to be louder. Acoustically there seems to be no difference so i can only suspect its the pickups adding this. Now, with the string being in between two poles, and the bending motion bringing it closer to a pole, I would suppose it's pretty normal. But, this is noticeable so much so I'm avoiding bending strings... which is not ideal.  It's been passable live but I've got a session tomorrow and I really fancied using this bass!

Question is... is this a symptom of an electrical issue or is it something else than I'm over looking?  definitely feeling like a 'noob' right now cos I'm stuck!