Why become a member? ×

Advertising Pop-Ups ? No thanks

Chezz55

3 hours ago, PJ-Bassist said:

I'm not sure what's worse, the Ads or the puns.

The puns. Quite definitely the puns.

With the exception of Bobthedog’s Uncle Vanya quip. That was classy.

But we’re Romanov the topic.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Skinnyman said:

The puns. Quite definitely the puns.

With the exception of Bobthedog’s Uncle Vanya quip. That was classy.

But we’re Romanov the topic.....

Bit harsh! :(

Bet you had to Gogol your pun!

Just installed ABP on my phone, all ads gone now. 

To be fair I don't mind the static banners at the top that we used to get but I can't deal with these type that keep flashing up different stuff while I'm trying to read. I realise that hopefully it'll settle down but Ad Block Plus has fixed it quicker than the ad software team could. 

I'm quite capable of buying immense amounts of unnecessary tat without adverts to lead me astray 😆

Oh yeah, I forgot a Russian pun....... um....... don't be stal(l)in', get Adblock Plus installed :facepalm:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Maude said:

To be fair I don't mind the static banners at the top that we used to get but I can't deal with these type that keep flashing up different stuff while I'm trying to read. I realise that hopefully it'll settle down but Ad Block Plus has fixed it quicker than the ad software team could.  

Agree, I tend to tune out the static ads so I'm not worried about those.

The problem is the pop up, on my phone screen it reduces the available space to read posts and when I try and type a reply like this is covers the text input box so I can't see what I'm doing.  Will try ABP.

I've only had one pop-up / content covering ad on my mobile and it had a nice big 'close' button so hasn't bothered me. Maybe they're A/B testing different methods on different users.

Edited by Rikki_Sixx
Clarification - I'm talking about on mobile here

7 minutes ago, Rikki_Sixx said:

I've only had one pop-up / content covering ad and it had a nice big 'close' button so hasn't bothered me. Maybe they're A/B testing different methods on different users.

Think it depends on what device/software you're using. The site is OK on my Mac but completely unreadable on my phone. The irony of all the commercial ads is that it will save a me fortune as I can't look at the BC FS pages anymore :)

To say the least Ped is bugging the advertisers regularly.

We have stated on multiple occassions "no pop-ups" and it's taking a while to get it through...

Out of our hands at this point in time, other than making loud shouty noises

• Like 1

Big, full screen ads work against the advertisers far more than they work for them. Every time when of these pops up, more users install an ad blocker that blocks all ads on all sites.

As someone who used to produce on-line ads for a living I can't see any advantages to them. Does anyone ever click on them other than to try and remove them from the screen. @charic maybe you should ask the company serving the ads on Basschat what the click-through and completion percentages are for full-screen ads. I suspect they are going to be very low and negligible, respectively.

1 minute ago, BigRedX said:

Big, full screen ads work against the advertisers far more than they work for them. Every time when of these pops up, more users install an ad blocker that blocks all ads on all sites.

As someone who used to produce on-line ads for a living I can't see any advantages to them. Does anyone ever click on them other than to try and remove them from the screen. @charic maybe you should ask the company serving the ads on Basschat what the click-through and completion percentages are for full-screen ads. I suspect they are going to be very low and negligible, respectively.

Normally I like to sell the space to a bass related company like Elixir and Rotosound and the London Bass Guitar Show. The other ads are supplied to fill in the gaps when we don't have a specific ad booked there. I could get rid of them entirely if we had more people subbing, maybe another 50 people a month. Originally they were put in place because we had companies beating our door down asking for them, but the game seems to have changed and I'm finding it hard work filling them myself. Normally I get so far then the company stop responding. So when they're all set up properly, they help keep us afloat.

Pop ups were never part of the plan and as I have said in various places many times so far, they will be gone soon. I don't like them any more than anyone else and agree they just put people off.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

50 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Conversion rate can sod off :D I hate the pop-ups and think they cheapen the site.

They're also still not complying with Ad-size which we've been pretty prescriptive with.

• Like 1

I use adblock plus but disable it on sites I want to support, also by default it lets through advertising that meets some sensible guidelines (e.g. no repeated animations, no pop-ups). It let the old Roto/Elixir ads appear, and I was happy with those.

On 08/04/2019 at 18:30, fleabag said:

I just found myself married to Anastasia , and it only cost her 10 grand. She paid her expenses.

Счастливые дни !!

Ypa !

In the early days of spam, a New Scientist columnist wrote "I experimented with clicking on every  pop up that appeared on my computer for a year. My pen_s is now ten feet long."

@ped

Another forum I use that has the same software uses 'vigilink anywhere' (I think) which basically is a divert on any links clicked and sends them through a revenue generator so if someone links to an item on Amazon (for example) you get commission if they buy. No ads required.

<edit> I think that is the right version, ordinary vigilink seeds the whole site with links to irrelevant products which is more intrusive and annoying.

Edited by Stub Mandrel
  • Thanks 1