Why become a member? ×

Advertising Pop-Ups ? No thanks

Chezz55

I'll be glad when this is sorted out.

The small Rotosound/Elixir etc.type banners at the top of the screen were fine but I don't like the new system - I'm getting ads popping up every time I open a new topic / change forums etc..  In some cases taking up the whole screen.  Infuriating and very annoying

Chris

• Like 8

20 minutes ago, Chezz55 said:

I'll be glad when this is sorted out.

The small Rotosound/Elixir etc.type banners at the top of the screen were fine but I don't like the new system - I'm getting ads popping up every time I open a new topic / change forums etc..  In some cases taking up the whole screen.  Infuriating and very annoying

Chris

Hi Chezz,

Yes completely agree.  This is the result of a new advertising service attempting to optimise our performance.  It doesn't seem to have worked in the first instance to say the least!

We're waiting for ducks to get in a line their side I'm afraid

What incentive do the ducks have, to line up?

If they're struggling....here's an incentive: AdBlock Plus blocks these. I have it installed already so I've basically not noticed any more (or less) ads, or changes in ads. I did notice the site down for a bit, and a bunch of other user's avatars disappearing which might/might not be related though.

Unobtrusive ads.....probably okay for most; obtrusive ads.....everyone will either install ABP or leave!

• Like 2

I'm finding the opening page is almost concealed by the drop downs and the cookie item - I'm hopeful Basschat isn't going to become like those regional newspaper sites - virtually unreadable owing to drop down banners and streamed advertisements. 

It also slows everything down. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, paul_c2 said:

What incentive do the ducks have, to line up?

If they're struggling....here's an incentive: AdBlock Plus blocks these. I have it installed already so I've basically not noticed any more (or less) ads, or changes in ads. I did notice the site down for a bit, and a bunch of other user's avatars disappearing which might/might not be related though.

Unobtrusive ads.....probably okay for most; obtrusive ads.....everyone will either install ABP or leave!

This.  I have ad block and have no idea what y'all talking about.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Teebs said:

With regards to the missing avatars, Ricky4000 has them.

I can't tell you how or why, but he's very sorry & says it won't happen again, & he definitely didn't sell them to finn bass users ;)

Me and Fleabag didn't lose ours.

I figured that was because we both must have accidentally clicked on the "Russian Brides" advert.

(don't tell the missus).  😬

• Haha 3

Just now, Ricky 4000 said:

Me and Fleabag didn't lose ours.

I figured that was because we both must have accidentally clicked on the "Russian Brides" advert.

(don't tell the missus).  😬

The downside being that you're now legally a Russian bride so when that van turns up just get in and don't make a fuss, thanks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6