Why become a member? ×

Erm, wife just found new bass.

bubinga5

1 hour ago, ped said:

I've got a bass case arriving today. Wife is going to her parents this afternoon for the night. Will it arrive whilst she's at home? She'll think there's a bass in it, of course. Part of me hopes it does arrive today but I'd prefer it to arrive whilst she's out so I can collect it from the Post Office at my convenience. Will keep you posted. 

Living on the edge.

Was nice knowing you Ped. We'll miss you here on BC :laugh1:

Dave

• Haha 3

Once you get near my collection size (i.e. 72 basses) the wife doesn't notice a new one coming in or old one going anyway... ;)

Not that I believe I need to ask permission. As long as all bills/household costs etc are covered, what I do with my money is my business.

Edited by cetera
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, cetera said:

Once you get near my collection size (i.e. 72 basses) the wife doesn't notice a new one coming in or old one going anyway... ;)

Not that I believe I need to ask permission. As long as all bills/household costs etc are covered, what I do with my money is my business.

With that many basses i wouldn't even notice if my wife sold the occasional one :laugh1:

• Haha 6

My wife is a musician (got a degree and all that!) and was quite understanding when I bought my last bass.  I only have two (basses that is, not wives!) and have no plans to expand the collection.  Even if I did, I would need to obtain a lot of bass guitars to match the price of my wife's oboe and cor anglais!

• Like 2

When you do it for a living you have two advantages:

1. “It’s what I do for a living.” Covers most eventualities if you need it to (not that I ever have - see below). It helps that I always had a mantra of each instrument earning its keep, with no freeloaders in the collection. With one or two exceptions I stuck to it too. If I can sell it for a profit when the time comes then so much the better. 

2. You get to (at least partially) offset the cost as a business expense over a period of years.

It also helps if you have a supportive partner who likes what you do for a living and enjoys hearing you play. I’ve been very lucky over the years and honestly can’t remember the last time I had to sneak any gear into the house. I bought a new acoustic guitar around a year ago, and Mrs. LBM loves it even though I don’t play for a living any more.

Edited by leftybassman392

20 minutes ago, Teebs said:

Can i have his basses? :)

On the other hand, that'd just put me in the same life-threatening situation :|

Surely they'd be stacked on a stage with his body laid on top, his band's drummer would launch a burning drumstick onto the pyre and off they go with him to that Great Gig In The Sky.....

I can see the venue owners being a bit miffed afterwards but that's the way I'd want to go.....

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Skinnyman said:

Surely they'd be stacked on a stage with his body laid on top, his band's drummer would launch a burning drumstick onto the pyre and off they go with him to that Great Gig In The Sky.....

I can see the venue owners being a bit miffed afterwards but that's the way I'd want to go.....

I'm sure this can be arranged!

smiley

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Skinnyman said:

I know lots of venues where I'm sure that sort of thing happens regularly judging by the smell and the sticky floors. 

• Haha 2

Quick update from me - the case arrived at about 4pm today, approx 30 mins before the wife arrived home. Ample time to un-box, cut up said box and scatter around the town in various bins and tuck case inconspicuously in the office!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, ped said:

Quick update from me - the case arrived at about 4pm today, approx 30 mins before the wife arrived home. Ample time to un-box, cut up said box and scatter around the town in various bins and tuck case inconspicuously in the office!

I sense much sneakness Ped. :laugh1:

3 minutes ago, ped said:

Good lad. And, breathe

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, ped said:

That was close! And don't forget to burn the receipt. 

I have a newish bass and an Ibanez guitar on my boat which the missus hasn't been introduced to yet! Not sure how I'm gonna explain this should I ever have to. 

• Like 1