Why become a member? ×

Erm, wife just found new bass.

bubinga5

52 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

Here's the plan... We group together in tens based on geography. Each of us throws in £150. Or more, whatever. We buy two or three basses and share them round between us. That way it really does appear as if we are "looking after it for a mate" when someone comes to collect it for their turn... OR we get together in groups based on geography. We decide a list of one bass each we all want. We buy it, BUT here's the clever bit .. we keep swapping them round between us! Oh the red one?? That's Mick's, he's collecting it next month... Oh why did he drop off another? He wants me to fix something on it, won't get to see him for a few months though...  Etc.

A brilliant idea but what do we do about the poor unfortunates who are left handed?

I guess you could stick them all into a group of their own.....

This could work, y'know.....

10 minutes ago, Skinnyman said:

A brilliant idea but what do we do about the poor unfortunates who are left handed?

I guess you could stick them all into a group of their own.....

This could work, y'know.....

But then the basses would have to rotate anti-clockwise. It would all become horribly complicated.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

But then the basses would have to rotate anti-clockwise. It would all become horribly complicated.

Or they would crash in the middle! :o

Or 1 person would end up with them all & be in massive trouble with t'other half! :(

Edited by Teebs
  • Sad 1

I'm astonished that nobody has so far mentioned shoes. Usually in new bass v. wife situations, shoes and handbags get mentioned almost immediately. Maybe there is a glimmer of hope for Basschat's collective and their long-suffering other halves?

Incidentally, no, I'm not a great buyer of shoes. Warwicks, yes. Photo and recording equipment, yes. D'Addario goodies, yes. :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, BassTractor said:

Of course you aren't. You're a bass player!
No, it's Jack who buys the pumps.

I bought a pair of Superdry daps (pumps) with orange soles just for leaning into a monitor wedge! - Pretty much an act of faith in my future 🙂

• Haha 2

I surreptitiously bought a Nate Mendel p bass a few years back. When the wife saw it she was convinced I 'd had it for years.

Sometimes a little bit of relicing can be a good thing in persuading the wife its not brand new

'Look at the state of it' she quoth.  😋

Edited by Hobbayne
  • Haha 2

Asking for forgiveness rather than permission works as long as I don't deploy it more than about every other year. Most of the time, I show her what I would like to buy, and because I like to buy beautiful basses, she says yes.

Be careful with all this honesty business. My wife came with me to Denmark street on December. A bit of thinking time later and I've got a brand new Stingray with her blessing. I then felt guilty about the cost. I'd traded in my Mexican jazz against the Stingray, I sold almost anything that gets little to no use. I then sold my Sire fiver and put a drop tuner on the Ray. I've trimmed down the whole works... But I have this nagging feeling I will never buy another instrument again!! It was all a clever trap.

Just bought a new Sandberg VM4 at the same time as buying a new kitchen so wife will find it difficult to complain about my little bass purchase.

To be honest she has never begrudged me spending money on bass gear but i don't do it very often. I've also been selling some off as well and giving her half the profit so she can't really complain when i buy a new bass or amp. 

Its all about forward planning and diplomacy i reckon.

Dave

I've got a bass case arriving today. Wife is going to her parents this afternoon for the night. Will it arrive whilst she's at home? She'll think there's a bass in it, of course. Part of me hopes it does arrive today but I'd prefer it to arrive whilst she's out so I can collect it from the Post Office at my convenience. Will keep you posted. 

Living on the edge.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

29 minutes ago, ped said:

Will it arrive whilst she's at home? She'll think there's a bass in it, of course.

Think of the kudos when you do the big reveal "it's only a box to keep one in - I hadn't realised how valuable basses are becoming as long term investments, so I thought I had better keep them safe."

(The risk is she tells you not to play them and put them ina lockup)

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Think of the kudos when you do the big reveal "it's only a box to keep one in - I hadn't realised how valuable basses are becoming as long term investments, so I thought I had better keep them safe."

(The risk is she tells you not to play them and put them ina lockup)

If you never hear from me again, you know what's happened

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

Here's the plan... We group together in tens based on geography. Each of us throws in £150. Or more, whatever. We buy two or three basses and share them round between us. That way it really does appear as if we are "looking after it for a mate" when someone comes to collect it for their turn... OR we get together in groups based on geography. We decide a list of one bass each we all want. We buy it, BUT here's the clever bit .. we keep swapping them round between us! Oh the red one?? That's Mick's, he's collecting it next month... Oh why did he drop off another? He wants me to fix something on it, won't get to see him for a few months though...  Etc.

This could actually work. Not that I have anything to hide from my wife. In fact, if I had a wife I'd probably have to hide her from my girlfriend. But, that being said, it's a great way to try lots of basses we wouldn't otherwise get to play.

Some kinks to work out, such as who decides which, how we sell at the end, what is someone goes rogue, etc. But it could be workable.

• Haha 2