Why become a member? ×

Erm, wife just found new bass.

bubinga5

9 minutes ago, ahpook said:

I think your only option is to take it on the chin and move the offending article on.

How much d'you think you'd get for her ?

;)

I would never take my wife to Cash Converters.

Edited by bubinga5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bubinga5 said:

So i bought a Lakland Jazz. Shouldn't have done really because im a little skint now. Put it in my case. Then the wife has just found it. Ive yet to go home explain it all away. Doh. 

Surely your best approach was outrage that she should be going through your stuff. This shows a lack of trust and you thought she was better than that, etc.....

That way you get to do the sad, disappointed look.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Skinnyman said:

Surely your best approach was outrage that she should be going through your stuff. This shows a lack of trust and you thought she was better than that, etc.....

That way you get to do the sad, disappointed look.

Good luck with that risky strategy. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, ped said:

Know the feeling. In the past (in fact last week) I had to conceal my new bass in the car until such a time as she was out of earshot upon whence I pulled the box into the garage where I quietly unboxed my quarry. 

Later I sneaked it into the house where, once in the 'man cave', it received not a mention or glance.

Then she found the box in the garage!

Nah she's OK with it really, she's never begrudged my spending but I still hide things like that because I feel embarrassed I guess. Especially when I know she spends an awful lot of her hard earned on our little boy.

You are lucky Ped, I get to pay for my kids, my basses and my mrs! Okay, technically she takes care of the kids more than I do, but I still like to moan every so often :)

1 minute ago, chris_b said:

Keep the bass and buy the wife something. Bribery always works.

Chris makes a valuable point here, Mrs2611 decamped to the seaside over the weekend and sent me pictures of her and her mates drinking Gin on the seafront so Friday night after an argument with the remains of a bottle of Malibu I found myself in the depths of loneliness and the football had finished so I ended up having to order a Mustang Bass from the tinterweb...it arrives tomorrow......Mrs2611 goes to seaside.....Rog buys new bass....fair trade off and proof, if ever proof was needed, don't leave me alone on a Friday night with both beer and tinterweb :biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

My old trout has never given me a hard time about my GAS nor has she ever exhibited the slightest interest in instruments, amps, peripherals or popular music. Which is why I was incredibly spooked by events that took place in a guitar shop a few years ago.

I was trying out a couple of small valve guitar combos using one of the shop's guitars when she suddenly appeared at my shoulder as if instantaneously tele-ported there (it's one of her little ways).

'H'mm,' she said, looking at the guitar in my hands. 'It's a Telecaster but it's not a Fender, is it? High end job? Tom Anderson, maybe?'

'That's right' I replied, entirely unnerved by her keen eye.

'Sounds different to a normal Tele,' she mused. 'Chambered body?'

'How d'ye know that?'

'No f-holes. Anyway, if you bought it you'd have to change those locking tuners. You don't get on with locking tuners.'

At this point the typically sniffy shop boy's staring at her with eyes like saucers and I'm so proud of her

In the car on the way home I asked her if she'd been possessed by another consciousness, possibly that of Mr George Gruhn.

'Don't be silly', she said. 'It's not that I'm interested but you're always talking about this stuff and I suppose it just seeps in after a while'.

Edited by skankdelvar
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 9

SWMBO never ever gave me any lip about any bass I bought - 16 in all. When I bought the first one, she remarked that it was a pretty bass, and after that she just didn't comment.

Mind you, things were quite different when we were still married. 😄

Edited by BassTractor
  • Haha 4

I bought a Chowny at the SW Bash yesterday and foolishly agreed that the card receipt be sent to my email address. I got home from the Bash to find Mrs Y5S eager to see the new Bass, as she had seen the receipt earlier in the day on our joint email account. At least she saw I had not spent a fortune and liked the colour....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Roger2611 said:

Hell yeah, the Vodka was long gone as was the cooking sherry I had even finished off the kitchen surface cleaner, there were nowt left but Malibu :drinks:

Surface cleaner?

You should never mix your drinks! :o

39 minutes ago, bubinga5 said:

I wouldn't take it too seriously Paul. And skint is not literal.  Its not really serious and for sure tongue and cheek. Im not getting a divorce over a bit of wood and metal.. 

Well, I misread that, didn't I :$ 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, itu said:

First I thought that your wife stole the new bass from you and plays it.

This is a great idea!

Tell the lovely Mrs Bubinga that you bought it as a reward for when she has learnt to play the bass - an activity that you can share (she will approve of this) - you can duet on bass - tell her it'll be romantic :)

Here's the plan... We group together in tens based on geography. Each of us throws in £150. Or more, whatever. We buy two or three basses and share them round between us. That way it really does appear as if we are "looking after it for a mate" when someone comes to collect it for their turn... OR we get together in groups based on geography. We decide a list of one bass each we all want. We buy it, BUT here's the clever bit .. we keep swapping them round between us! Oh the red one?? That's Mick's, he's collecting it next month... Oh why did he drop off another? He wants me to fix something on it, won't get to see him for a few months though...  Etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2