Why become a member? ×

Well, it's that time again, another ACG build for lucky old me!
As most of you know, I now own a few ACGs, but none of them scratch that Jazz Bass itch, so this is the one to do that.

It's going to be one of Alan's RetroBs, his nod towards a more traditional styled instrument and quite a departure from his usual stuff.

Anyway, here's the nuts and bolts...

Number of Strings: 5
Scale: 31.5”
Body: Ash
Top: Quilted Maple with black veneer
Neck: 3 piece Maple/Wenge/Maple
Fingerboard: Cocobolo with AI Maple blocks with 0º Radius
Pre-amp: John East Uni-Pre 4K
Pickups: ACG B Series (probably overwound single coils)
Hipshot Type B bridge with 18 mm spacing
Gotoh GB720 tuners
Hardware Colour: Black

That's it, bar a couple of pics...

received_1319239784898972.thumb.jpg.4dadc17a68ee0d94ab81b20af84defd0.jpg

received_370645083533511.thumb.jpg.c5980125c353eaa5ba24953b3acfaa84.jpg

Eude

• Like 5

Nice...but I always think the lower horn on these is a bit too long. Ideally (for me), and it's only an aesthetic thing, I'd lose an inch and a half to two inches off it. 

That shouldn't bother you though....you clearly know what you're doing buying another ACG.

ACG mod.png

Edited by TheGreek

34 minutes ago, franzbassist said:

Excellent, but how many is that now?

That'll be 5 in total, including this RetroB, not a patch on @Scoop though...

• Salace SC E Type Headless 6
  • Krell SC E Type Headless Fretless 6
  • Finn SC Classic 6
  • TKO Modern 4
  • RetroB 5 (TBC)

They all have very different flavours, but I appreciate that 3 6 string basses is a bit of a luxury!

Eude

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

Nice...but I always think the lower horn on these is a bit too long. Ideally (for me), and it's only an aesthetic thing, I'd lose an inch and a half to two inches off it. 

That shouldn't bother you though....you clearly know what you're doing buying another ACG.

ACG mod.png

This is intended to be a more traditional, less modern bass, I reckon with that in mind the shape works really well.

Have you seen this one? I think it all balances out perfectly, but with an ACG flavour.

image.thumb.png.7696ac10fcd1e9db7908dcee31c0e3c3.png

This will kind of be an inverse of the above, swapping the maple and cocobolo round...

Eude

• Like 1

On 08/04/2019 at 20:22, fleabag said:

Cocoblowlow is one of my fave woods.  Stunning

It is lovely...if you are an owner or a player. 

It is also, by a hefty margin, the least favourite of any of the woods I've ever used as a builder.  Major kudos to ACG for building a whole body top in the pesky stuff.

Back to the original thread, @eude , that looks a fabulous build...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andyjr1515 said:

It is lovely...if you are an owner or a player. 

It is also, by a hefty margin, the least favourite of any of the woods I've ever used as a builder.  Major kudos to ACG for building a whole body top in the pesky stuff.

Back to the original thread, @eude , that looks a fabulous build...

Is it any worse than the Katalox I sent you?... ;)

Eude

Martin Herrick, who built one of the pick ups in my Psilos Bass was telling me about an adverse reaction he had to Canary wood (IIRC). Allergic reaction brought him out in welts...he was unable to work for days.

I've had basses made of Cocabola in the past - colours range from deep red to walnut brown...like the reds, the browns seem ordinary by comparison.

35 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

Martin Herrick, who built one of the pick ups in my Psilos Bass was telling me about an adverse reaction he had to Canary wood (IIRC). Allergic reaction brought him out in welts...he was unable to work for days.

I've had basses made of Cocabola in the past - colours range from deep red to walnut brown...like the reds, the browns seem ordinary by comparison.

Some woods are quite toxic - but no...my issue was how difficult it is to work with rather than what it did to me.   :)

It is VERY oily so:

-  try to sand it - however coarse the sandpaper - and the paper immediately clogs and you just can't unclog it.  It took me two days and a lot of sheets of sandpaper to sand a single fretboard (which looked wonderful when it was finished, mind you)

- try to glue it, even after de-oiling with acetone, and it won't glue.  It's the only fretboard I've ever had to use epoxy for...

• 2 months later...
On 08/04/2019 at 15:21, eude said:

This is intended to be a more traditional, less modern bass, I reckon with that in mind the shape works really well.

Have you seen this one? I think it all balances out perfectly, but with an ACG flavour.

image.thumb.png.7696ac10fcd1e9db7908dcee31c0e3c3.png

This will kind of be an inverse of the above, swapping the maple and cocobolo round...

Eude

I think that ACG take on a Jazz bass is awesome I much prefer it over the classic Jazz shape even the non-exotic are stunning................ 🤤

_20190612_190351.thumb.JPG.cd16f1f17b3cca4a253a136bda1b5dbc.JPG

If you haven't guessed yet I'm very jealous!! 

Edited by Jimothey

51 minutes ago, Jimothey said:

I think that ACG take on a Jazz bass is awesome I much prefer it over the classic Jazz shape even the non-exotic are stunning................ 🤤

_20190612_190351.thumb.JPG.cd16f1f17b3cca4a253a136bda1b5dbc.JPG

If you haven't guessed yet I'm very jealous!! 

That’s a Finn which is slightly different again from the RetroB which Ewan is having. The Finn is my favourite bass shape ever, I have a bucket list of at least four going at any one time, not to mention that exact one in progress 😎 Might have to have a RetroB at some point too. Or I’ll just steal Ewan’s 🤓

3 hours ago, Merton said:

That’s a Finn which is slightly different again from the RetroB which Ewan is having. The Finn is my favourite bass shape ever, I have a bucket list of at least four going at any one time, not to mention that exact one in progress 😎 Might have to have a RetroB at some point too. Or I’ll just steal Ewan’s 🤓

Sorry my mistake it's feckin gorgeous tho!! I would gladly have either!! Come to think of it I would love to have any ACG basses, shamefully I did borrow the shape of his Recurve SC for my neck through build but it's only because I can't afford for him to make me one!!......... 😁 

_20190627_022844.thumb.JPG.0b89fcc84696879afc085c0346341e15.JPG

Edited by Jimothey
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...