Why become a member? ×

What is he usual monetary arrangement regarding cars/vans to gigs?

shoulderpet

Hi all
Have in the past been lucky enough to have played many gigs that had backline provided, in the band i am currently in I will need to supply my own amp etc, the guitar player drives so will be helping to transport equipment, just wondered what the general consensus is on fuel costs etc and how they are split , how do you split these costs in your band ? thanks

Rules can be made up as you go along to keep the peace.

Generally speaking though :  (IMO)

If you are getting transport via another band member because you don't drive yourself:

If they will be collecting and delivering you back again like a free taxis service then show as much appreciation and repeat your thanks each and every time. By all means have a beer or two but dont take the fosters by getting whizzed up because you dont have to drive. Its insulting to the driver. If its a £10.00 worth of fuel trip, then pay the full amount. In fact pay more. Make it £15.00. You  will go from bwestest frwends ever to   that pain in the derrière  from here on so make it as painless as possible. (Unless you are a singer with no PA, fold back, mic, mic stand or transport in which case do as you please. Or even if you do have these things, expect free transportation at all times that suit you. This is after all, your birth right).

You may have the most valid reasons in the world for not having a vehicle or even being able to drive at all but showing that you appreciate the lift is a very welcome thing. Even if someone says its ok just pay half the fuel, insist on paying the lot and shove  the money into any orifice you can find if they resist.

If its a case of sharing cars because of distance and you can take it in turns then 50/50.

• Like 3

It seems to vary in each band that I've been in.
Some bands take it in turns to share driving (and fuel, the planet etc). And some band members don't drive - so they pay a consideration to the driver.....
Usually half the petrol, but of course, you also have to consider whether the driver is picking you up, taxi'ing you home, helping you unload gear etc
So around half the petrol costs, but a pint or two for the taxi'ing and help etc....

I would do what you can to keep the driver(s) happy.
I was recently in a band, where the drummer didn't drive, wouldn't help out with costs (always pleading poverty) and never bought anyone a drink.... but was quite happy to accept a drink!!!
This ended in him also expecting me to give him a lift elsewhere, and to one gig where he was playing with another band! So I'm more cautious these days....

Edited by Marc S

18 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

In my experience, those that drive get fuel covered and the remainder gets an even split.

Exactly what happens in the band I manage.  It's the fairest way and we take into account distance to travel when pricing the gigs, so as to ensure no shortfall.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

In my experience, those that drive get fuel covered and the remainder gets an even split.

Not just fuel. Inconvenience, wear and tear, etc need to be factored in - see bassjim's post above.

17 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

Not just fuel. Inconvenience, wear and tear, etc need to be factored in - see bassjim's post above.

I basically agree with you - but the counter-argument is that the driver is already making that trip at a cost to himself of (say) 45p per mile, regardless if he gives anyone or no one a lift.  The additional cost of giving someone a lift is not that same 45p per mile.

I'm in a 10-piece band, so people coming from all over the place, and all with differing pre-/post-gig schedules.  Currently, the gig fee is fixed per musician, but then on top the band pay drivers 20p per mile + 5p per passenger per mile.  There are still issues or grey areas; e.g. two drivers who could conceivably share a lift but then who both decide to drive themselves (thus costing the band more in expenses paid out).

The way it's always worked for pub type bands I've been in was that petrol was that any drivers got their petrol paid first, and always in a "take a tenner/twenty for petrol" way rather than an exact calculation of mileage, etc.  possibly because I've never played in any bands for a living. 

For the semi-pro stuff, the gig won't be accepted unless the fees cover all the fixed expenses - van hire, fuel, hotels, etc.  Personal expenses, like petrol to get to the pick up point, food and drink that's not on the rider, etc, was your own issue, but there was money available if a band member was particularly skint

In my case, I bought a lot of the PA gear so I also apparently have to cart it around, set it up, break it down take it home and store it. I also have to make any adjustments in settings whilst simultaneously playing a bass guitar  In the meantime the singer shrugs his shoulders and looks confused if anything needs doing. Bringing a microphone is apparently his limit. Any repairs are also 100% down to me. 

P.S. Drummer is actually very helpful in reality.

39 minutes ago, Japhet said:

In my case, I bought a lot of the PA gear so I also apparently have to cart it around, set it up, break it down take it home and store it. I also have to make any adjustments in settings whilst simultaneously playing a bass guitar  In the meantime the singer shrugs his shoulders and looks confused if anything needs doing. Bringing a microphone is apparently his limit. Any repairs are also 100% down to me. 

P.S. Drummer is actually very helpful in reality.

Aha! Welcome to reality. You're doing well - your singer turns up with a mic.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jrixn1 said:

I basically agree with you - but the counter-argument is that the driver is already making that trip at a cost to himself of (say) 45p per mile, regardless if he gives anyone or no one a lift.  The additional cost of giving someone a lift is not that same 45p per mile.

I'm in a 10-piece band, so people coming from all over the place, and all with differing pre-/post-gig schedules.  Currently, the gig fee is fixed per musician, but then on top the band pay drivers 20p per mile + 5p per passenger per mile.  There are still issues or grey areas; e.g. two drivers who could conceivably share a lift but then who both decide to drive themselves (thus costing the band more in expenses paid out).

Good points. My point was in response to those asking about driving others, not just oneself. Obviously, one would not double up on fuel cost for every passenger carried. If it is feasible for several to share a car, it makes sense for them to do so.

5 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

That might be the case if there are non drivers in the band, but in my case, in all the bands I’m in, everyone is capable of driving their own vehicle. I’ll drive the guitarist one week, he’ll drive the me the next, therefore equal wear and tear and that doesn’t need factoring in. Fuel gets paid for and everyone’s happy; plus we get to geek out listening to stuff that would undoubtedly annoy many of the others.

Fair enough. I was not referring to quid pro quo, but to situations where one person always ends up driving others (which does happen in some circumstances). In that case, being picked up, driven to and from the job and delivered home equates to a taxi service and those being ferried should recognise that and give the driver a drink on top of fuel cost. They can always buy a car of their own or take a taxi if they're not happy to do so.