Why become a member? ×

New Limelight v Custom Maruszczyk (or AN OTHER)

lou24d53

I keep coming back and looking at all these Limelight threads of late as I was interested in getting one done, and had actually had some email communication with Marc in relation over the last couple of weeks. If I'm honest however, I can't say I've really been a massive fan of the artificial relic'd look on a bass, no matter how tastefully it's done...that said, I have kinda convinced myself that I could live with a very light relic finish a la @Hobbayne's new arrival today.

Lately though, I have also been thinking that for an extra £200 or so (which would obviously be dependent on my specification choices) I have recently started playing around with the numerous specs and finishes on the Maruszczyk configurator website.

So now I'm currently weighing up whether I would be better for me to pay out circa £950 for a new build, very light relic'd Limelight or slightly more, say circa £1,150 for a fully spec'd non-relic'd Maruszczyk...or other...?!

I'd be worried that once the novelty of the new bass wore off, the relic'd finish of the Limelight would start to grind my gears a bit and I'd get a bit OCD about it all...!!!

If truth be told, I don't necessarily need another new bass, but hey, why should that stop me...?!

Hmmmmm......

**PS - Maruszczyk was only the first one I stumbled across to play with, I'm happy to also be advised of similarly priced custom new builds too, so shoot away**

Keep an eye out for the 'off the shelf' Maruszczyks in the shop, as the same spec on the configurator tends to be more expensive. Some other BCers are having fun on the Sandberg configurator, maybe check that out too.

• Like 1

Having ordered and owned (still do) a couple of both, I'd be happy with either, but there's no getting away from the this fact: If you don't like relic'd instruments, you'd be daft to get a Limelight.

(BTW, if you're going Maruszczyk, it's worth paying a bit more to upgrade the hardware).

• Like 1

Re: Sandberg - I had a look earlier also, but they appear a level above price-wise again. 

Would I be correct in saying Sandberg only do active basses? I couldn't really see any passive option on their configurator site, although that said, I wasn't on it too long...I mean, I had to do some work whilst I was there today!! 🙄😁

• Like 1

Sandberg - it's not that they only do active basses - I think UK retailers just order most of them active.

German stockists seem to hold far more stock of the passive options. The TT4 (jazz) and the VS4 (P) are popular as passives. I don't know why Bass Direct in particular don't order more passive ones - especially in P format.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, ped said:

Why does it have to be custom? I'd browse for a nice used bass that's already been built - it's not like there's a shortage of P and J basses about... 

True dat, suppose I'm getting caught up with the Limelight customisation and applying to other manufacturers, impatience I guess, but that comes at a premium. 

7 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

Surely Limelight will build your one with next to no relicing if that's what you want? Every one is built to order, worth an ask. Might even be cheaper!

Cant do zero, or next to zero, relicing. Marc said the paint finish prior to the relic isn't to a high enough standard to allow for a non-relic finish. 

1 minute ago, lou24d53 said:

True dat, suppose I'm getting caught up with the Limelight customisation and applying to other manufacturers, impatience I guess, but that comes at a premium. 

Cant do zero, or next to zero, relicing. Marc said the paint finish prior to the relic isn't to a high enough standard to allow for a non-relic finish. 

If you're impatient then buy a finished one, I think a build will take a while. Are you after a P or a J?

• Like 1

After a P, was originally after a Fiesta Red, Maple Neck - probably not too far away from the 50's classic actually, but without the gold pickguard...

However, lately I've been swayed with those lovely sonic blue Limelights that have been on the threads of late...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm convinced that relic'd basses are just a fad.

In two years time somebody is going to make a fortune "un-relic'ing" them - i.e. offering to give them a fresh coat of paint. Start putting away your pennies now, ready for when you want your bass to look new again.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

I'm convinced that relic'd basses are just a fad.

In two years time somebody is going to make a fortune "un-relic'ing" them - i.e. offering to give them a fresh coat of paint. Start putting away your pennies now, ready for when you want your bass to look new again.

Hah, imagine :)

5 hours ago, StevieE said:

I seem to recall this question was asked on another thread and apparently there has to be an element of relicing as it requires a lesser quality paint finish. 

Interesting. That was my guess, as the paint job looks like it was spread on there with an emulsion brush... I still would though, if I wasn't such a cheapskate. 👍

• Haha 1